ScummVM 2.6.0 or: Insane Escapism

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rootfather
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM 2.6.0 or: Insane Escapism

Post by rootfather »

Free your mind for yet another ScummVM release!

Eight newly supported games on 6 engines will plunge you into a variety of different settings. Are you able to escape from an alien-infested planet? What about challenging the Lord of the Dead in the Underworld? And have you ever explored the deepest depth of your psyche to see if you really know yourself?
  • Sanitarium
  • Hades Challenge
  • Marvel Comics Spider-Man: The Sinister Six
  • The 11th Hour
  • Clandestiny
  • Tender Loving Care (CD-ROM Editions)
  • Uncle Henry's Playhouse
  • Wetlands
  • Chewy: Esc from F5
Besides adding new games, we are always focused on improving already supported games. Once again, we managed to squash quite a few bugs from various engines. It is always impressive to see bugs getting fixed in engines that are more than 20 years old!

One of the main new features of ScummVM 2.6.0 is a completely new way to view your games in an amazing icon grid overview via our launcher. Accompanied by some very shiny artwork provided by our graphics artists, you are now able to show off your collection like never before. It almost looks and feels like a virtual shelf!

Check out the full Release Notes for a comprehensive summary of how our developers managed to make ScummVM even more amazing!

You can find all of this goodness available for a number of platforms on our downloads page. If you are using Windows, macOS or the Ubuntu Snap package, the autoupdater will assist you in updating to ScummVM 2.6.0.

As always, thank you for your continuous support — happy adventuring!
R1984

Re: ScummVM 2.6.0 or: Insane Escapism

Post by R1984 »

Hey all!
Firstly I want to say to all of the developers a huge thank you! I'm not writing here much but i keep on getting updates for my favorite piece of software. Now I am able to play Sanitarium which is a game i wanted to replay for a very long time.
I have a question on how to download the icons for the grid view. When i go to the "Update Icons" and inside "Download" (it says there are 2 files of 125MB waiting) the software crashes.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Once again, you have made this soon to be 38 years old man a happy child :)
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Hi,
R1984 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 pm I have a question on how to download the icons for the grid view. When i go to the "Update Icons" and inside "Download" (it says there are 2 files of 125MB waiting) the software crashes.

Is there anyway to fix this?
at the first glance, I couldn't replicate the crash on Windows 11. Which platform are you on? Have you tried the icons function on a development build by chance?
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

R1984 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 pm Is there anyway to fix this?
After investigation, looks like there's indeed a bug when there's no icons path set and ScummVM uses it's default path.

For now, I highly recommend setting an icons path via "Global Options -> Paths -> Icon Path".
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

Congrats on getting Sanitarium playable, and big thanks! Had been watching out for that one for years, looking forward to seeing it in action.
R1984

Post by R1984 »

rootfather wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:41 pm
R1984 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 pm Is there anyway to fix this?
After investigation, looks like there's indeed a bug when there's no icons path set and ScummVM uses it's default path.

For now, I highly recommend setting an icons path via "Global Options -> Paths -> Icon Path".
I'm using Windows 11 and the latest release for public 2.6.0
When setting a path for the icons it still crashes when trying to download.
I created a folder called "Icons" inside ScummVM and pointed it there but no luck.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Sorry, I tested with Windows 11 and 2.6.0 as well and I can't reproduce the crash at all.

It tried with the current master branch as well - still no crash.

Have you tried if you can reproduce the crash if you start over with an empty scummvm.ini file? Can you reproduce it with the current daily builds from https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/dailybuilds ?
R1984

Post by R1984 »

rootfather wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:37 am Sorry, I tested with Windows 11 and 2.6.0 as well and I can't reproduce the crash at all.

Have you tried if you can reproduce the crash if you start over with an empty scummvm.ini file? Can you reproduce it with the current daily builds from https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/dailybuilds ?
Well, I tried deleting the scummvm.ini file and created a new one and it doesn't help. I'll look into it later with one of the latest builds.
Maybe it has something to do with other settings?
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

R1984 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 am
rootfather wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:37 am Sorry, I tested with Windows 11 and 2.6.0 as well and I can't reproduce the crash at all.

Well, I tried deleting the scummvm.ini file and created a new one and it doesn't help. I'll look into it later with one of the latest builds.
Maybe it has something to do with other settings?
Deleting the scummvm.ini file basically resets all settings to the default ones, that's why I asked you to test it with an empty scummvm.ini so we can be sure that it is not a random setting.

Do you have any special file permissions set for your "AppData/Roaming" folder?
R1984

Post by R1984 »

It's working!
I looked into the settings of the folder you mentioned and didn't notice anything special. What I did next was creating an icons folder on on my desktop and setting the path on ScummVM but that didn't work either.
Finally i reset the path to its default status and now I was able to download the icons pack!
It looks great!

Thank you so much for the effort of helping me :)
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Thanks a lot for your feedback, great to see that it's working now!

But all in all, you couldn't track the issue down to one specific root cause, right?
R1984

Post by R1984 »

No, I'm afraid not.
Maybe it just needed the reset to default.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

I have an idea - what happens if you disconnect your internet connection before opening the icons downloader?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

rootfather wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 pm
Eight newly supported games on 6 engines...
  • Sanitarium
  • Hades Challenge
  • Marvel Comics Spider-Man: The Sinister Six
  • The 11th Hour
  • Clandestiny
  • Tender Loving Care (CD-ROM Editions)
  • Uncle Henry's Playhouse
  • Wetlands
  • Chewy: Esc from F5
*counting...*
Yep, definitely eight...

Wait...
Ok, let's recount... :-D
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Raziel wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:32 am *counting...*
Yep, definitely eight...

Wait...
Ok, let's recount... :-D
Indeed, this paragraph is not very precise. Technically, we have "eight games and a Challenge on 6 engines". :P

(Nice catch, btw - maybe we should really simply recount)