ScummVM 2.6.0 or: Insane Escapism

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

carlo_bramini

Re: ScummVM 2.6.0 or: Insane Escapism

Post by carlo_bramini »

Hello,
version 2.6.0 still does not work on my PC.
See:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13712

Sincerely.

EDIT: I debugged a bit more and for pure case I found where the bug is, see:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4155
After applying that fix, SCUMMVM finally works again on my PC.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

From the release notes:

SCI:

Allow saving from the ScummVM Global Game Menu in the following games: BRAIN1, BRAIN2, ECOQUEST1, ECOQUEST2, FAIRYTALES, PHARKAS, GK1, GK2, ICEMAN, KQ1, KQ4, KQ5, KQ6, KQ7, LB1, LB2, LIGHTHOUSE, LONGBOW, LSL1, LSL2, LSL3, LSL5, LSL6, LSL6HIRES, LSL7, PEPPER, PHANT2, PQ1, PQ2, PQ3, PQ4, PQSWAT, QFG1, QFG1VGA, QFG2, QFG3, QFG4, SHIVERS, SQ1, SQ3, SQ4, SQ5, SQ6, TORIN.

I am assuming you mean that while in game, I can use F5 to pull up the save menu? If so, this does not seem to work for KQ 5, 6, 7, QFG 3, TORIN
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:37 am I am assuming you mean that while in game, I can use F5 to pull up the save menu? If so, this does not seem to work for KQ 5, 6, 7, QFG 3, TORIN
I could test with QFG 3 GOG version so far, but this works for me. The ScummVM GMM (Global Game Menu) is by default available through Ctrl-F5 (in Windows anyway), while in-game.
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... -main-menu

The "Save" option on that menu appears once player gains control though, which is normal.

However, I could notice a small inconsistency there; the native menu (available via moving the mouse cursor on top of the screen and clicking on the options button) has "Save" enabled even during the part of the intro cutscene after the hero travels through the portal. Edit: this is also the original game's behavior (having Save enabled as early as that point).
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 am
EstelRandir wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:37 am I am assuming you mean that while in game, I can use F5 to pull up the save menu? If so, this does not seem to work for KQ 5, 6, 7, QFG 3, TORIN
I could test with QFG 3 GOG version so far, but this works for me. The ScummVM GMM (Global Game Menu) is by default available through Ctrl-F5 (in Windows anyway), while in-game.
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... -main-menu

The "Save" option on that menu appears once player gains control though, which is normal.

However, I could notice a small inconsistency there; the native menu (available via moving the mouse cursor on top of the screen and clicking on the options button) has "Save" enabled even during the part of the intro cutscene after the hero travels through the portal. Edit: this is also the original game's behavior (having Save enabled as early as that point).
After some looking around, I see the issue. I had keys mapped like this:

Global Options > Keymaps > F5 = Global Main Menu
Game Options > Keymaps > F5 = Game Menu

The in-game was overriding the global. In many games, F5 brings up the save menu, F7 brings up the restore menu. I wish it were easy to force all games to bring up the save / load menu on separate keybinds. It is not even consistent behavior on KQ games which largely ran on the same systems.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I was playing The Longest Journey on 2.5.0 and I updated to 2.6.0 and now the game is permanently widescreen. I didn't change any options after playing last and any option I change now to try to force 4:3 doesn't work. Other games still display in 4:3.

Edit: I reverted back to 2.5.0 and 4:3 works now.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Giraffe wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:47 pm I was playing The Longest Journey on 2.5.0 and I updated to 2.6.0 and now the game is permanently widescreen. I didn't change any options after playing last and any option I change now to try to force 4:3 doesn't work. Other games still display in 4:3.

This is a bug that seems to have crept in undedected before the 2.6.0 release but has been fixed in the latest master if I'm correct: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4215

I guess reverting back to 2.5.1 or using the latest master/development version should fix it for now until an eventual bugfix release (Will there be any? Probably devs can answer that better than I can).
huftis

Post by huftis »

chrisis wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:27 pm
Giraffe wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:47 pm I was playing The Longest Journey on 2.5.0 and I updated to 2.6.0 and now the game is permanently widescreen. I didn't change any options after playing last and any option I change now to try to force 4:3 doesn't work. Other games still display in 4:3.

This is a bug that seems to have crept in undedected before the 2.6.0 release but has been fixed in the latest master if I'm correct: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4215

I guess reverting back to 2.5.1 or using the latest master/development version should fix it for now until an eventual bugfix release (Will there be any? Probably devs can answer that better than I can).
FYI, ScummVM 2.6.1 was released today, but, unfortunately, the fix was not included.

I don’t know why. It has been available (in the master branch) since late August.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

huftis wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:34 pm
chrisis wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:27 pm

This is a bug that seems to have crept in undetected before the 2.6.0 release but has been fixed in the latest master if I'm correct: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4215

FYI, ScummVM 2.6.1 was released today, but, unfortunately, the fix was not included.

I don’t know why. It has been available (in the master branch) since late August.
For bugfix releases, these kind of additional fixes have to be backported manually. Bugfix branches come from the respective release branch (ie. here from the 2.6 branch) and thus don't automatically include the fixes that were pushed /merged with master.

So, I guess it was an oversight.
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

SCUMMVM is terrific.

Seeing "Zniw Adventure" running on an old Sony Pentium 3 256MB RAM Windows XP/Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid VAIO is always impressive.

Too bad "Foxtail" is switching to (phooey!) Unity. Oh well...unless...