crackling\popping static sounds

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cns00

crackling\popping static sounds

Post by cns00 »

i am playing gabriel knight 2 in scummvm. i am using the scummvm version that came with the game. my laptop has windows 10

in cutscenes in which people talk i am hearing high pitched crackling\popping static sounds and it happens randomly. i researched and i found out that it's due to a game problem if you are using dosbox and the solution is to set cycles to 10000. unfortunately, this solution can be done in dosbox and it can't be done in scummvm

before the high pitched crackling\popping static sounds happen randomly in the background when people were talking. this was when the audio device was set to default in the scummvm settings. i changed the audio device to AdLib emulator. it looks like random high pitched crackling\popping static sounds in the background went away. however, sometimes there static sounds when certain words are spoken. i replayed the cutscene and the static sounds happened in the same words

is scummvm using the correct cycles number for the game?

is there anything else that i can do?
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: crackling\popping static sounds

Post by rootfather »

The cycle number as used in DOSBox is not relevant for ScummVM at all.

While DOSBox emulates a virtual CPU (the cycle number basically sets the speed of the emulated CPU), ScummVM runs the engine code natively on your machine with full speed, eliminating any issues that could be caused by slow emulation.

I don't know which version of ScummVM is used by your version of GK2. Have you tried to update ScummVM to the latest version downloaded from our website?
cns00

Post by cns00 »

the game runs on scumm version 2.0.0. i haven't tried using a newer version
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

In this case, I recommend trying a new ScummVM version first. ScummVM 2.0.0 is pretty old, so you are missing out tons of changes and bugfixes :-)