Just Some Appreciation For ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EstelRandir

Just Some Appreciation For ScummVM

Post by EstelRandir »

As I look back over my collection of King's Quest games with all the flaws, patches, versions, hoops you have to jump through to make them work natively - I am really thankful for ScummVM. I would guess 90% of the bugs, fixes, incompatibilities just do not exist when running them on ScummVM because the developers take the time to fix things in the engine. Occasionally you need a patch or updated version. But issues such as timing bugs, movies won't play due to the original format not supported by modern windows is largely a non-issue.

What brought this on? I got to looking over the Sierra help pages at the patches required to fix so many of the games. Surprisingly the later KQ games have the most issues. It just made me appreciate ScummVM.

So, thanks to everyone who takes the time to do things right. Nothing ruins the motivation to play a game then when you have to sit all weekend reading help pages and trying 20 different fixes instead of actually playing.
GusCE6

Re: Just Some Appreciation For ScummVM

Post by GusCE6 »

Same here. "Zniw Adventure" on an old XP/Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid laptop? At least "Foxtail Chapter 3" runs. Not to mention "MYST" and "RIVEN." SCUMMVM is something nice for people without a lot of money.

Along with Puppy Linux and MSFN the programmers at SCUMMVM actually make things work BETTER, not worse. :wink: