Development Builds - Icon View

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EstelRandir

Development Builds - Icon View

Post by EstelRandir »

In the daily builds, one of the future features is the ability to sort the game list by list view or icon view.

Where are the icons for each game stored?
How would I go about adding custom icons to games in this view?
I know you can update the icons to populate the view with more icons. Where are these icons being dowloaded from?

There are several media managers I use, one for games, one for music. The games manager stores the "icons" for each game in a special set of folders separate from the games. The music manager allows me to drop an image into the main folder of each album and I can set in options how to read & apply the image. I mention this because it would be very convenient to be able to simply place the icons for each game into an easily accessible location such as the game folder itself or in the scummVM extras folder. There are many custom HD icons created over the years that can be used.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Development Builds - Icon View

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:32 pm In the daily builds, one of the future features is the ability to sort the game list by list view or icon view.

I know you can update the icons to populate the view with more icons. Where are these icons being dowloaded from?

There are several media managers I use, one for games, one for music. The games manager stores the "icons" for each game in a special set of folders separate from the games. The music manager allows me to drop an image into the main folder of each album and I can set in options how to read & apply the image. I mention this because it would be very convenient to be able to simply place the icons for each game into an easily accessible location such as the game folder itself or in the scummVM extras folder. There are many custom HD icons created over the years that can be used.
There should be an "Icon Path" under the Paths tab in "Global Options...".
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/sett ... cons#paths

As for the rest of the suggestions, there's always room for improvement (and Pull Requests are welcome!).
You could reach out on ScummVM Discord -- on the #general channel or the special "#icons-and-screenshots" one.

Also this is a relatively new feature, so probably some documentation about custom icons will be added to our docs.scummvm.org at some point.

Here's the repo where the icons are uploaded. The readme file contains some info about creating your own custom icons and sending them to ScummVM (if you want).
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm-icons
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:00 am
EstelRandir wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:32 pm In the daily builds, one of the future features is the ability to sort the game list by list view or icon view.

There should be an "Icon Path" under the Paths tab in "Global Options...".
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/sett ... cons#paths

As for the rest of the suggestions, there's always room for improvement (and Pull Requests are welcome!).
You could reach out on ScummVM Discord -- on the #general channel or the special "#icons-and-screenshots" one.

Also this is a relatively new feature, so probably some documentation about custom icons will be added to our docs.scummvm.org at some point.

Here's the repo where the icons are uploaded. The readme file contains some info about creating your own custom icons and sending them to ScummVM (if you want).
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm-icons
I should have checked the global options first - it never occurred to me for some reason. I simply assumed they would be in extras. By default they were stored under app data, so I moved them. I also did not realize that you all were so quick to add information about upcoming features in the readme. Next time, I should spend time looking there first. I just assumed it was too preliminary for documentation.

I found a crude way of adding / replacing the icons. 7zip will open the icon databases and I can add / delete them. But if you update, it removes everything you have done.

Thanks for replying.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

EstelRandir wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:08 am I found a crude way of adding / replacing the icons. 7zip will open the icon databases and I can add / delete them. But if you update, it removes everything you have done.
ScummVM is looking for gui-icons*.dat files which are standard ZIP files and then sorts them before proceeding. The standard icons are in form of gui-icons-YYYDDDMM.dat. Thus, put your icons into, say gui-icons-estelrandir.zip and those will be picked up.

Eugene
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

sev wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:57 pm
EstelRandir wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:08 am I found a crude way of adding / replacing the icons. 7zip will open the icon databases and I can add / delete them. But if you update, it removes everything you have done.
ScummVM is looking for gui-icons*.dat files which are standard ZIP files and then sorts them before proceeding. The standard icons are in form of gui-icons-YYYDDDMM.dat. Thus, put your icons into, say gui-icons-estelrandir.zip and those will be picked up.

Eugene
Daily build 2.7.0git1723-g5809c34120b.

Taking your suggestion, I placed my custom icons into a zipfile.

What did not work:

1) Having the icons in an archive with a ..zip extension.
2) Having the icons in an archive in which the icon files were in the archive root directory. In other words when you open the archive, you immediately see the icon files.
3) Naming the archive .dat with 2).

What did work:

Place the icon files into a folder named "icons". Create a .zip archive that contains the "icons" folder so that when you open the archive you will see the "icons" folder. Rename the archive extension from .zip to .dat. Rename the archive to gui-icons-<name of choice>. In the <name of choice> I could use upper / lowercase / spaces. ScummVM read the file and used the icons in it.

Please add the step by step process of creating your own icon database into the ScummVM documentation. There are so many versions of certain games, there is no way to cover ever single one of them in the standard database. So understanding how to do this is very useful.

Thanks for your feedback.