Source Code?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GusCE6

Source Code?

Post by GusCE6 »

Since "Foxtail" is switching to (phooey) Unity I was told here maybe SCUMMVM could handle it if the programmers send the source code.

Does that mean for the Unity engine itself or for the particular game? If the latter I'll pass that on over at Steam and GOG.

Thanks.

Oh, by the way- does anyone know how to "reset" Input for, say, questions in Turbo PASCAL? The first time it works fine, but after that

you
get
this.

Thanks again.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Source Code?

Post by sev »

GusCE6 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:19 pm Since "Foxtail" is switching to (phooey) Unity I was told here maybe SCUMMVM could handle it if the programmers send the source code.

Does that mean for the Unity engine itself or for the particular game? If the latter I'll pass that on over at Steam and GOG.
It is not quite clear what is meant here.

If they were talking about sources of FoxTail, that will not help at all. FoxTail used to be built on a custom Wintermute engine and ScummVM does support that, hence the game runs and we support all known versions. Updated versions will be on Unity engine, and if even we get the sources of the last version, new development will not be there.

The game author is an artist and he hires a developer. The new developer does not understand Wintermute, thus, the decision was to move to Unity. Sad, but we cannot help here.

If, however, the original poster meant sources for the Unity engine. Well, that could theoretically help, but is very unlikely. The engine is big, thus, the effort of adding it to ScummVM is substantial even with the access to the source code, thus it will take many months if not years, but most importantly, Unity is a moving target, e.g. it is being actively developed, thus, whatever we support, will be restricted to a certain version. And finally, Unity is heavily dependent on custom plugins and those have to re reimplemented as well.

Thus, the conclusion is, whoever told you that ScummVM could help with FoxTail is misinformed.

Eugene
GusCE6

Re: Source Code?

Post by GusCE6 »

sev wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:19 am
GusCE6 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:19 pm Since "Foxtail" is switching to (phooey) Unity I was told here maybe SCUMMVM could handle it if the programmers send the source code.

It is not quite clear what is meant here.

If they were talking about sources of FoxTail, that will not help at all. FoxTail used to be built on a custom Wintermute engine and ScummVM does support that, hence the game runs and we support all known versions. Updated versions will be on Unity engine, and if even we get the sources of the last version, new development will not be there.

The game author is an artist and he hires a developer. The new developer does not understand Wintermute, thus, the decision was to move to Unity. Sad, but we cannot help here.

If, however, the original poster meant sources for the Unity engine. Well, that could theoretically help, but is very unlikely. The engine is big, thus, the effort of adding it to ScummVM is substantial even with the access to the source code, thus it will take many months if not years, but most importantly, Unity is a moving target, e.g. it is being actively developed, thus, whatever we support, will be restricted to a certain version. And finally, Unity is heavily dependent on custom plugins and those have to re reimplemented as well.

Thus, the conclusion is, whoever told you that ScummVM could help with FoxTail is misinformed.

Eugene

That is truly a pity. "Foxtail" is one of my favorite games and when SCUMMVM 2.2 was able to handle Chapter 3 that was a treat indeed.

They say that Unity is better for mobile platforms, so I wondered if that was more manageable.

I have this ugly feeling that moving to Unity (phooey) is not going to go well for a game like that. The previous three chapters would have to be adapted for Unity as well as Chapter 4. That could take some time, even if there was not such trouble in the Ukraine (once again, remember The Holodomor). When I contacted Wintermute several years ago about Chapter 1 "Foxtail" customer and technical service was good- that's where I found out about SCUMMVM. How is that service with Unity?

Still, one can hope. SCUMMVM 2.6 gets "Zniw Adventure" running on a 2001 Sony VAIO, XP/Puppy Linux Lucid 5.2.5. 800MHz Pentium 3, 256MB maximum RAM. It works in both modes. Kind of slow, granted, but I altered the videos to eliminate the sound lag problem. So overall it works nicely.

Thing is, it's a Vista or later game- yet it runs on an XP system, and if the Windows 95 SCUMMVM can do what the XP+ version can, than one can play it on an ancient computer. That's nothing short of incredible, maybe genius-level effort. So who knows, maybe someone here can pull it off with "Foxtail Chapter 4+." Me, I just managed to fix a problem with the AGT engine but am stumped with the carriage return problem, so with SCUMMVM, if I'm ever going to help, someone will have to link me to "SCUMMVM Programming for Dummies: Remedial Version" before I can catch on.

But once I do...

Keep up the good work. You here make the Internet and computing better, especially for people without money to spend on upgrades.

If SCUMMVM cannot deal with it, then that's that. Nobody else can pull it off.