Possible Bug In Secret Of Monkey Island

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Al.DeHyde

Possible Bug In Secret Of Monkey Island

Post by Al.DeHyde »

I've been playing the Ultimate Talkie version of MI1 so I'm not sure if I should report this on the ScummVM bug tracker or not. In the "hell" bit near the end of the the game I've walked into a room that is blocked by some rocks so I can't reach another exit but I also can't go back out of the one I entered by. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean:
stuck.jpg
stuck.jpg (168.35 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
There's nowhere I can click that will get him to leave this room, he just walks up and down the lefthand edge. I'm using version: ScummVM 2.7.0git1312-g0d3801cb861
Tsomi

Re: Possible Bug In Secret Of Monkey Island

Post by Tsomi »

That's quite interesting; is it part of a regular play, or were you using the ScummVM debugger to move between rooms?

In the former case, do you have a savegame near this point, or (best) right in this room while you're stuck? Thank you.

EDIT: I managed to get the same room, I believe, but the heads in the middle don't block me and I can leave the room from both sides. ScummVM 2.6.0pre108 (I don't think there's any possible regression in the area between ScummVM 2.6.0 and 2.7.0).
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Far before the talkie even existed, I heard of people getting trapped in the caverns, but never encountered that for myself. I have no idea what would cause this. Seems a very rare thing.
Al.DeHyde

Post by Al.DeHyde »

It happened on a regular playthrough. I was just wandering round enjoying the noses and eyes. Guybrush entered the room from the left (the screen scrolled across) but he couldn't get past those stalagmites or go back the way he came. I reloaded the game and came across that room again (entered from the top) and was able to walk past the rocks and exit to the left that time. I've attached a save from this room. Interesting that it's so rare :!:

Edit to add: LogicDeLuxe, thanks for the Talkie project, it's great :mrgreen:
Attachments
monkey.zip
(25.07 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Thank you very much for reporting this with all this information (and thanks again for your incredible work on the Ultimate Talkie Editions, LogicDeLuxe!), I've opened a bug report here:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13710

Since the player can become completely stuck, it'd be nice to find a way to prevent this in our SCUMM workarounds, indeed.