Unclear how to use Dropbox for cloud storage

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rarumberger

Unclear how to use Dropbox for cloud storage

Post by rarumberger »

Hello. I'm trying to get up and running on my Android device, but for the record I am seeing the same behaviour on my Windows PC. I have connected my Dropbox account as my active cloud storage, and enabled it. On the cloud tab in settings, it correctly shows my username and 0B for used space (seems accurate, right now). So I am reasonably certain I am successfully connected to Dropbox.

When I click the "Download game files" button, however, I don't understand what is supposed to happen. I would have assumed that I would be able to select a directory from my Dropbox that contains game files, but instead all I can see is one directory called "saves/", which does not exist in my Dropbox storage. When I click into it, it has no child directories. I have no idea what that is.

I have read and re-read all available documentation for both the android port and cloud storage, and I have seen nothing that indicates I have missed a step; the documentation appears to assume that the next steps after connecting storage will be obvious (which I would also assume, but here we are :) ).

Any help is appreciated. All I am looking to do is to have my game files be transferable from Dropbox to my device, using the built-in cloud storage functionality. I can investigate other methods of transferring the files if necessary, but I would rather just get this working if possible.

Thanks!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Unclear how to use Dropbox for cloud storage

Post by criezy »

Applications connecting to a cloud storage usually have limited access and can only access files in their application directory. In the case of Dropbox you should have an Application directory and inside it a ScummVM Cloud directory. I think ScummVM can only access that directory (and any subdirectory inside it). That's probably where the saves directory you see is, and that is where the games should be as well.

In my case I created a Games directory inside that ScummVM Cloud directory, and inside it I have various games (with one directory per game).
rarumberger

Re: Unclear how to use Dropbox for cloud storage

Post by rarumberger »

That did it, thanks!

In case anyone else comes across this, there was a directory created automatically at "/Apps/ScummVM Cloud". I have many folders in my dropbox, and didn't realize what "Apps" was.