Grim Fandango loading saves issue (mac)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Salvador007

Grim Fandango loading saves issue (mac)

Post by Salvador007 »

Hello,

I'm running Grim Fandango (original 2CD Win version) with ScummVM 2.5.1. in MacOS 10.13. The game runs absolutely fine if not for one very annoying problem: I can't load any saves. The game + ScummVM freezes/crashes immediately after loading a save. Happens every time. Tried saving at different locations, at different time - still no luck. Does anyone know if this is a known issue/bug? Is there anything I can do to fix this? I could find very little information about this specific problem. Thanks.
Salvador007

Re: Grim Fandango loading saves issue (mac)

Post by Salvador007 »

Small update. I downloaded and installed ResidualVM, and yes, it can save and load saves just fine. In fact, savegames from ResidualVM can be loaded into ScummVM 2.5.1 just fine as well. So my conclusion at the time is that GF saves made via ScummVM are corrupted in some way. I also tried version 2.6.0git and there was no change.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I can only write that this doesn't seem to be a bug on Windows, with ScummVM 2.6.0git, at least from the quick testing I did (saving and loading at some locations in Year 2).

So it could be Mac OS specific. Maybe this bug ticket is related?
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11427

Can you try and set a different save game path where ScummVM has access, or grant permission to ScummVM to use the one under Documents? This feature request suggests an alternative path that is more probable to work:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11428

If these do not help, please open a new bug ticket on the ScummVM tracker, so that we can track and resolve the issue properly.
Salvador007

Post by Salvador007 »

This doesn't appear to be access issue. As far as I can tell, ScummVM has access. I mean, I've been running other games (Curse of Monkey Island and The Longest Journey) and saving/loading works correctly there, using the same default save location under Documents.

edit: created bug ticket