Monkey 4 on switch

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rebirth

Monkey 4 on switch

Post by Rebirth »

I decided to ask here instead of the switch forum because of visibility.

I own monkey island 4 on gog.
I downloaded the offline version(who buys on gog and uses gog galaxy anyways?)
I copied all files to my SD, got the monkyisland update and placed it in the same folder.
I got the latest nightly build. And started it in full memory mode( R Button)
After I added the game I started it got the warning that bugs may occur and then I got a file check. When it was done the software crashed and I came back to the switch menu.

I later tried to run the update.exe on pc but it told me that it's not compatible with my version of monkey 4, but it's both German.

Any advice? I assume it's because of a different file structure, there is no CD1 and to in the gog version
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey 4 on switch

Post by Praetorian »

Rebirth wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:09 pm I decided to ask here instead of the switch forum because of visibility.

I own monkey island 4 on gog.
I downloaded the offline version(who buys on gog and uses gog galaxy anyways?)
I copied all files to my SD, got the monkyisland update and placed it in the same folder.
I got the latest nightly build. And started it in full memory mode( R Button)
After I added the game I started it got the warning that bugs may occur and then I got a file check. When it was done the software crashed and I came back to the switch menu.

I later tried to run the update.exe on pc but it told me that it's not compatible with my version of monkey 4, but it's both German.

Any advice? I assume it's because of a different file structure, there is no CD1 and to in the gog version
GOG version already has the update. You don't have to patch it yourself.

Our code will verify the files nonetheless, and require that you have the patch file available in the game's folder (which for the German version should be "MonkeyUpdate_DEU.exe") but it won't apply it if it's not needed. A potential future feature could be to not require the patch if the game is detected as prepatched, but for now, this is how it works.

I think your game is crashing for a different reason -- not related to the update thing.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

First of all, could you check that EFMI works with a Nightly build on your computer. (So that we can know whether this is a Switch-issue, or a game-file issue).

Would you also mind trying to run any other 3D game on your Switch (the Grim Fandango demo, which is available from our demos-section should be a good test-candidate).
Rebirth

Post by Rebirth »

Did some testing:
My monkey 4 runs with the latest nighi for pc.
The monkey 4 demo crashes on switch same as the full version.
Grim demo can't be added, folder grayed out.

I even recopied all files to my SD card again

Got the residualvm switch version, and monky4 runs like a charm
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

It sounds weird that the Grim demo can't be added, is that a problem you're only seeing on the Switch, or do the same files work fine on a PC?