Different behavior with MacBinary SCI on Mac

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kq5g5

Different behavior with MacBinary SCI on Mac

Post by kq5g5 »

This may be rehash, and may be related to discussion in https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/9112

I had Kq6 Macintosh and Freddy Pharkas Macintosh on (of course!) a G5 PPC. These worked fine. I decided these should be moved to more recent systems, as ScummVM seems to have abandoned PPC, so the first convenient method I found was to use 'macbinary encode' to move them to NAS. I discovered that there seems to be a platform-specific difference in the loading of sound drivers in MacBinary format. I was able to transfer them to a High Sierra (10.13.6) system, with ScummVM 2.5.1, and they generally worked in MT-32 emulation mode, particularly if I launched from command-prompt from the game directory.

However, on Windows, it seemed this would usually only work if I forced SoundFont or otherwise avoided trying to load MT-32. Launching from command-prompt didn't seem to make any difference.

I gather from the bug above that this may be intentional. If so, is it time to reconsider this, as Apple is leaving HFS support behind entirely, and possibly the resource fork support as well? (Meaning, only MacBinarized might work in future) I noticed I can not use the /rsrc trick on High Sierra at all, but could still access forks with xattr.