ScummVM has been accepted to the Google Summer of Code 2022

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM has been accepted to the Google Summer of Code 2022

Post by sev »

This year our project once again was accepted to the Google Summer of Code program.

In previous years, Google only allowed students to participate. This year, however, both students and non-students are welcome to join us and hack together. There are now two sets of tasks, for 175 hours and for 350 hours. Some of our tasks could be either of the two.

ScummVM is looking for applicants! A list of suggested projects can be found on this page, but we’re open to your own ideas too. Please make sure you provide the required information in your application before submitting.

We have gathered some information to guide you, based on our previous 14 years of experience in the program. You may start your exploration from our Google Summer of Code miniportal.

Also, please join our Discord server and follow the #scummvm-gsoc channel where you can engage with our mentors and the rest of the team.

We are looking forward to your fine application and participation!
GusCE6

Re: ScummVM has been accepted to the Google Summer of Code 2022

Post by GusCE6 »

https://app.box.com/s/qn9czcw854s5bcb6axdm8gt0jzn6l3ku

https://app.box.com/s/4sjjmtn2knl911ywpju78akgbgnxzspx

https://app.box.com/s/1c9wy1a83b0t96ys886m7jxpzi2qkr0k

I don't know if this is relevant to this topic.

These are links to the three files for "SwiftShader 2.1." There are three files: d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll, and SwiftShader.ini. That last one allows you to make adjustments.

SwiftShader works by intercepting an application's rendering calls and handling them itself. Since it puts the work on the CPU it is excellent for old devices lacking a graphics chip or those using older ones. On the minus side, as software, things do run more slowly but on the plus side I've seen it deal with situations where there was not enough video RAM or "C0000005" error messages. On the 2001 Sony VAIO it has gotten SCUMMVM 2.5 running, it has been stable, and along with WINE SCUMMVM even works in that antique's Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid mode.

So if there's an issue with older hardware anywhere here give this a try.

Note that even in Puppy Linux mode with WINE games like "Foxtail" overall run quite nicely. Given the fact that it never ran at all this is quite the accomplishment on the part of SCUMMVM. When "official" builds" of 2.6 are available even "Zniw Adventure" should run.

Hope this helps.

Oh- and congratulations. This app deserves it. :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

jerrileeh wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:43 pm You are very cool
Hey bot, how are you? :-)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@sev

I know i'm late to the party (again)...but lately there were some massive OpenGL stuff done which already impacts positively on my platform.

While normal gameplay already peaked in speed, i also remembered some discussion about video (rendered, pre-rendered etc.) being slow on nearly all platforms in nearly all engines (apart from those with military grade hardware, so to speak), especially WME.
J.U.L.I.A. is a good example, or Broken Sword 2.5 (which is freely available from ScummVM's game library).

So, i wonder, would it be a feasable SoC task for someone to implement faster video playback (generally, or on a per-engine base)?

I don't know nothing about coding, so wouldn't know if this could be managed by one person, but maybe it could be added to the SoC task list (but probably for another year?)

Thank you