Monkey Island 4 - when supported?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

venom_INC
Got a warning

Monkey Island 4 - when supported?

Post by venom_INC »

Hello,
Would like to continue my retro experience, and would like to play Monkey Island 4 on Windows 10, got some monkey 4 game CDs from acquaintances. Unfortunately, the game seems to be not supported by Scumm VM! The game is recognized by scummvm but there is a error massage that the game "isnt compiled"in the add ons of scumm. I have the game recently installed with the CDs with the downloaded installer "EMI 1.3" and still installed the 1.1 deu patch. That also ran. Unfortunately, I recently accidentally uninstalled it next day, while i clean up my installed programs and i removing also residualVM in the programms and features options i dont know that this is monkey4. Today, have the game installed as before, unfortunately the error message "Patched monkey4.exe has beeen deleted. You need to run the resolution patch again" is dispayed. The game is still running, but not in the 1920x1080 resolution that i set! In addition, there is always this message when i start the game or change settings! Would the game like to play, can i somehow repair the game with the patches or play with the normal Scummvm? When is scummvm ready and the program part for monkey 4 is compiled, that i can play the game?
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Monkey Island 4 - when supported?

Post by rootfather »

As you noticed, Monkey Island 4 is not fully supported by ScummVM. Since we only include engines that we consider to be "ready" in the stable releases, you can't play EMI out of the box.

However, you can use the ScummVM daily builds [1]. While primarily meant for testing the very latest codebase, those builds also include all engines in the current ScummVM codebase.

[1] https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

OK, THX for your answer. I think, im waiting for better ScummVM Support for EMI! I see myself scummvm in a month again!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Not sure but it sounds like venom_INC might be using some Quick And Easy Software.

There's an installer and a launcher. The installer includes the launcher though. The launcher can change the resolution.

Installer
https://quickandeasysoftware.net/softwa ... land-setup

Launcher
https://quickandeasysoftware.net/software/emi-launcher
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

Hi Red Breast,
i exactly using this software, linked by you. But that does not work properly! I have still problems with an error message and the resolution setting. Have the game installed often without the error message and the resolution bug disappearing. Details of the problems see the first message above.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Ever since the grim engine games were released they have been a pain. ResidualVM solved it for Grim Fandango especially once you could use a mouse. Monkey4 is still a pain.

If you're itching to play the game I'd suggest hunting down a copy of the Playstation 2 version. If you don't have a PS2 use one of the emulators. Controlling Guybrush with keyboard arrows is not my idea of fun.

Here's my experience from earlier. Don't know if it will help you.
I dug out my CDs and downloaded the Quick and Easy files. I used the setup 1.3 and then used the launcher 1.7 shortcut. To begin with I had a warning about it not having the update. The launcher is set up to download the update so I done that. Then I tried changing resolution from 640x480 to 1280x960. But then I had a warning of it not being updated! I closed the launcher and downloaded a copy of the update from the ScummVM wiki and used that. Then I run the launcher resolution changer again which worked OK this time. I also selected 32 bit colour and windowed.

I played up until Guybrush and Elaine have talked to the pirate throwing rocks at the mansion using a catapult. I had something like a 30 second wait on the Act 1 screen. My PC is only about 7 years old. Also, up to the catapult pirate there were some graphics loading too slow.

A couple of things I thought worth mentioning -

From ScummVM Monkey4 wiki page under needed files -
A copy of the Escape from Monkey Monkey Island updated EXE. You will need a patch specific to the EMI version you're using:
Followed by a list of links for the patches. Looks like ScummVM are hosting these.
There's English, Portuguese, German, Spanish, French, Italian.

https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... key_Island

With the Quick and Easy Launcher 1.7 download, a html file is included. It's basically a readme. It says for 1.7 Fixed the resolution patch so it works with the German version.
Thing is there's no dates so I don't know when the 1.7 version with the fix for German versions was released.

I also tried the game with a daily build of ScummVM. Again I played up until catapult pirate. It actually felt smoother in ScummVM than using the Quick and Easy method. But the ScummVM compatibility page still has the game's status as Bugged.

I just tried the ScummVM version again as I forgot I have a xbox360 gamepad connected to my PC and I know there's support for gamepads now in the ScummVM options menu. It worked fine. Better for controlling Guybrush than keyboard arrows.