Escape from Monkey Island - Cutscenes crashing

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rosstifer1712

Escape from Monkey Island - Cutscenes crashing

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

I've noticed lately with recent versions of ScummVM the cutscenes for Escape from Monkey Island, they seem to crash within 10-15 seconds of starting, for example with the 1st cutscene after Guybrush says "from the personal logs of Guybrush Threepwood" the cutscene then freezes and ScummVM closes. I tried with another cutscene and it seems to always happen I'm not sure why this occurring
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Escape from Monkey Island - Cutscenes crashing

Post by Praetorian »

Rosstifer1712 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 pm I've noticed lately with recent versions of ScummVM the cutscenes for Escape from Monkey Island, they seem to crash within 10-15 seconds of starting, for example with the 1st cutscene after Guybrush says "from the personal logs of Guybrush Threepwood" the cutscene then freezes and ScummVM closes. I tried with another cutscene and it seems to always happen I'm not sure why this occurring
What version of ScummVM are you testing with?

I've tried with a today's local development build (2.6.0git), with the GOG version of the game, on Windows 10 Pro, and the intro cutscene played through without issues.

However the game is still marked as unsupported, so it's expected that there should be bugs. It's just that I'm unable to reproduce this one.
Rosstifer1712

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

The version I used is the same as yours (2.6.0git)

I have the original discs so the files are from them and had them on for years even when ResidualVM was around and PC is Windows 10 Home.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Rosstifer1712 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:41 pm The version I used is the same as yours (2.6.0git)

I have the original discs so the files are from them and had them on for years even when ResidualVM was around and PC is Windows 10 Home.
Since I can only test with the GOG* English version, which is pre-patched to version 1.1 of the game, and I don't get the crashes, I can only point you to our wiki page which has specific instructions for how to set up the CD version. Maybe you're missing the official patch? Maybe it's some localized version other than English which we haven't tested enough?

https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Esca ... data_files

*Edit: From a quick test, the Steam version is also pre-patched to 1.1 and won't crash for me in the video cutscenes (tested the full intro).

Edit 2: Also, maybe it's worth checking and disabling "background" ScummVM features like autosaving and Cloud synching, if they are enabled, at least for making sure that they're not responsible for the freezes.
Rosstifer1712

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

I've already done all that and I have the patch already and it is the English version
Rosstifer1712

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

I think I found out why it keeps crashing on cutscenes it seems to do it if you have the Movie Subtitles on, when theyre off it works fine but the moment you have Cutscene subtitles on it crashes, not sure if this is a bug as seems odd why this was happening
getagb

Post by getagb »

I can reproduce this and filed a bug on https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13459.