Space Quest 4 New Rising Sun

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

amt1977

Space Quest 4 New Rising Sun

Post by amt1977 »

Hi

Could anyone tell me how to setup the New Rising Sun patch for Space Quest 4? I have the GOG cd version of SQ4 and have downloaded patch 1.3 from SpaceQuest.net. Once extracted, I've copied the files from the Diff folder into the main game folder and replaced existing files, but when I run the game its just the CD version, the graphics are not as good as the floppy version and on the first game screen the tower is still the "new" version.

I'm running Scummvm version 2.5.0 pn Win 10.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
MusicallyInspired

Re: Space Quest 4 New Rising Sun

Post by MusicallyInspired »

NRS's patched version is not really supported by ScummVM. Its intended usage was for original hardware or DOSBox.
amt1977

Post by amt1977 »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:11 pm NRS's patched version is not really supported by ScummVM. Its intended usage was for original hardware or DOSBox.
Hi MusicallyInspired, the patch notes for 2.5.0 say that support has now been added for Space Quest 4 Update 1.3 by New Rising Sun under the SCI heading.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

amt1977 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:55 pm
MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:11 pm NRS's patched version is not really supported by ScummVM. Its intended usage was for original hardware or DOSBox.
Hi MusicallyInspired, the patch notes for 2.5.0 say that support has now been added for Space Quest 4 Update 1.3 by New Rising Sun under the SCI heading.
Indeed, the relevant commit is this one: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... d16f9889a5
According to sluicebox's comments in the commit message, the patch its 1.3 version is distributed in a proper manner, which requires the user to provide their own files of the floppy and CD versions.
The issues with the previous version of (1.2) the fan patch, which is unsupported by ScummVM are discussed in this bug ticker: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/7789

I'll try to look into how setting up the patch actually works and post back here (if I find out)
Edit:
So as far as I can tell, the patch's .bat file includes the proper usage instructions:

Code: Select all

1. Extract the patch files into the current directory
2. Copy the files from the English 256-color version 1.052 or 1.1
    into a subdirectory FLOPPY\
3. Copy the files from the CD-ROM version into a subdirectory CDROM\
4. Run PATCHSQ4.BAT (this file)
5. The patched game will be in a subdirectory NEW\
So basically you create a folder eg. "C:\SQ4_Workbench"
You extract the patch's zip file inside that folder.
All the data files from the floppy discs (VGA version 1.052 or 1.1) should be copied to a subfolder named "FLOPPY".
All the files from the CD-ROM version (this is the one distributed from GOG or Steam) should by copied in a subfolder named "CDROM".
You run PATCHSQ4.BAT which should be in your "C:\SQ4_Workbench" folder.

If successful, the patched game data will be in a newly created subfolder named "NEW". This is the folder you should add to ScummVM.

However, just running the PATCHSQ4.BAT produced an error in Windows 10 x64, that it was calling a 16bit app unsupported by my Operating System. So, I think you're supposed to run the patch file within a DOSBOX shell or maybe an older version of Windows (maybe one within a VM?)
I don't have the floppy disc version of the game so I cannot follow the instructions to say if there are any other issues.
amt1977

Post by amt1977 »

Thanks so much for you detailed instructions Praetorian. Thats been a great help - I need to try a VM or fire up an old Win 7 laptop to try running the batch file.