Discworld 1 Savegame failure and bug in Act 3

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

venom_INC
Got a warning

Discworld 1 Savegame failure and bug in Act 3

Post by venom_INC »

Hello,
Have a problem with Discworld 1. In Lady Ramkin's Dragon Sanctuary is a bug. When I want to go behind the house, the game freezes. I wanted to load an earlier savegame, unfortunately I accidentally overwritten the savegame with the bug. When I load this savegame, the game crashes. This was the only savegame that I created. I would need a savegame of act 3 in the middle or at the beginning of act 3 otherwise I have to restart the game! Where can I get the savegame?
venom_INC
Got a warning

Re: Discworld 1 Savegame failure and bug in Act 3

Post by venom_INC »

So no one can help me find a savegame? Is it possible to repair the defective savegame? The game loads the right place and the last position of Rincewind, but a few seconds after the load crashes ScummVM on the desktop.

Hope someone can help!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

venom_INC wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:36 pm So no one can help me find a savegame? Is it possible to repair the defective savegame? The game loads the right place and the last position of Rincewind, but a few seconds after the load crashes ScummVM on the desktop.

Hope someone can help!
I do not have an available save game for this, but it would be best to submit a ticket for this bug which, from a quick search in our ScummVM bug tracker, does not seem to not known.

Perhaps by figuring out the cause of the issue, the developer who will handle it could provide a valid save -- or maybe a way to fix your existing one.
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

OK, how does this bugtracker function work? I do not know me well with it. I only playing games. Would not it be better if I send someone to this savegame that knows how to program the game? The game figure in the broken savegame stands exactly there where the error has occurred. The game is loading the broken savegame and the game shows the game graphics, but then it crashes. The savegame is likely to show the bug very well. It would be simpler to send the savegame to an expert than using the bugtracker. Is here anyone I could send the savegame?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@venom_INC

Check your PM
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

@Raziel:
This PSX savegames I have received by mail unfortunately do not work. I just tried it. I have renamed the files as the files of the Windows version. The files are not displayed in ScummVM for Windows, the loading list remains empty. A pity! If anyone else would help me I would be happy.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Sorry to hear that, was worth a shot
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

Hi there,
I want to try a last attempt. I found out how the files are called. Before I did not know that exactly. Have used the wrong file name and therefore the list remained empty. The files that have been sent to me from raziel do not work, either with this special name format, but they are now displayed in the loading list! At least something.

The correct filenames must look like this:
dw.rar
dw.002
dw.003

The game is recognized by me from scummvm as the following:
Discworld (Floppy / DOS / German)

If that somebody still has the correct savegames and you would share with me, I would think that's great, otherwise I will start the game again in a few years when I feel like it again!!! :mrgreen:
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Why is there a "dw.rar" in that list?
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

Why is there a "dw.rar" in that list?
I found the file with the extension .rar in a new empty directory in which I have tested the save function of discworld with three discworld saves. Had to take a blank directory because my other /DOSGAMES/Saves directory was full of savegames of a lot of other ScummVM DOS games, have lost the overview, so I had a problem identify the discworld save files on the beginning. Among the new saves this file was also there! I have just opened the file with WinRAR. Inside, a file was DW. called, a file extension was not existent.I do not know why scummvm compresses the first file, i did not program Scummvm! I can email these files, including the two defects, if someone wants to examine these files. :!: