DOTT Floppy-Version no Soundeffects with MIDI

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Thunder79

DOTT Floppy-Version no Soundeffects with MIDI

Post by Thunder79 »

Hi!

Back in the good old days I had a Soundblaster with a Roland SCB-55-AddOn-Board (in fact I still have the Soundcard, but no proper PC to plug it in, but thats an other story :D ). Now I like to play DOTT with a similar sound-output. I do have the Floppy and CD-Versions. If I choose Fluidsynth as soundcard in the Floppy-Version, there are no Soundeffects (like the speech in the intro), only if I choose Standard. With the CD-Version it is possible to choose Fluidsynth and have all Soundeffects. But I really like to play the Floppy-Version with MIDI-Output and Soundeffects. Is there any way to accomplish this? Thanks for your help!
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: DOTT Floppy-Version no Soundeffects with MIDI

Post by rootfather »

Hi, in order to make Fluidsynth work, you need to provide a SoundFont file that contains the actual sounds. Did you provide a SoundFont via the ScummVM settings?

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your question. So the _music_ works, but the sound effects are missing?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Have you tried the "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" in the MIDI options? The documentation says that it "combines MIDI music with AdLib sound effects", which seems to be what you want to do. I don't have the floppy version of DOTT though, so I don't know if it works with it.
Thunder79

Post by Thunder79 »

Yes, FluidSynth always works, the sound effects are missing in the floppy version if I choose Fluidsynth. If I choose standard it plays the standard Adlib/Soundblaster music and the soundeffects. In the floppy version the "Text and Speech"-Option ist greyed out:
snip_20211115015250.png
snip_20211115015250.png (53.32 KiB) Viewed 691 times
In the CD-Version it is set to "Speech", and then Fluidsynth plays the Music, but Speech (and sound effects) are also played:
snip_20211115015556.png
snip_20211115015556.png (53.45 KiB) Viewed 691 times
I tried the Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode, but this is not the right setting. I think this is a problem from ScummVM itself, it recognizes DOTT/Floppy and just locks the setting. Is there some way to override the ScummVM-Settings for a particular game?