Noise on Ubuntu 20.04

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cruc2021

Noise on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by cruc2021 »

Hi to everyone! I am running the latest version of ScummVM on Ubuntu Mate 20.04.3 and there is a high pitch noise in every game I try to play. Any suggestions for a solution?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Noise on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by Praetorian »

cruc2021 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 am Hi to everyone! I am running the latest version of ScummVM on Ubuntu Mate 20.04.3 and there is a high pitch noise in every game I try to play. Any suggestions for a solution?
Is this with the Snap package of ScummVM?
I had some sound distortion too, when testing yesterday. It's the same issue with Pulse Audio driver conflicts or something like that, which happens with some applications -- but I don't really know the specifics of what's causing it.

Trying with the deb package of ScummVM, I didn't get the sound distortion; however, it could be random.

What usually helps in this situation (other than building ScummVM on your own) is to close other applications that may be using sound (even if they are not playing sound at the moment -- a typical such "offender" is a web browser, eg. Firefox).
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 am Is this with the Snap package of ScummVM?
I had some sound distortion too, when testing yesterday. It's the same issue with Pulse Audio driver conflicts or something like that, which happens with some applications -- but I don't really know the specifics of what's causing it.
I think this is a Pulse Audio driver indeed - but I don't know what triggers it (e.g. I can't replicate it right now). Do you have TTS enabled by chance?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

rootfather wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:20 am I think this is a Pulse Audio driver indeed - but I don't know what triggers it (e.g. I can't replicate it right now). Do you have TTS enabled by chance?
I wasn't using TTS, no. For me the issue went away when I closed Firefox (which was running and had a few tabs open). That PC is also running Skype and Viber on launch, but I'm quite sure I had those closed before I ran ScummVM.
cruc2021

Post by cruc2021 »

No I have no other programs running and I am using the .deb package. I suspect the sdl version that comes with Ubuntu 20.04. I will try to use a newer version.
cruc2021

Post by cruc2021 »

I compiled from source but the problem remains. When I run from terminal I get the following error: "sdl mixer output buffer size 512 differs from desired 1024".
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

cruc2021 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:09 pm I compiled from source but the problem remains. When I run from terminal I get the following error: "sdl mixer output buffer size 512 differs from desired 1024".
This shouldn't be related to this issue (IIRC, this message almost _always_ appears on Linux system, but I've never seen a negative impact on this). The only downside this might have is a slight delay of just a few milliseconds, in case it's even noticable.

Have you compiled just ScummVM from source or also with an updates SDL2? Could you quickly check if the ScummVM snap package has the same issue? That one is built with SDL2 and libs from Ubuntu 18.04, so this would be a nice reference point.
cruc2021

Post by cruc2021 »

Merry Christmas to all.
I have tried various things to solve the problem (upgraded to Ubuntu 21.10 and used the snap package), but the problem remained.
Last night I compiled it again from source with these arguments: ./configure --enable-all-engines --backend=sdl --enable-release --disable-sdlnet --disable-tts and the noise is gone.
I suspect it is the tts feature. I'II compile it again when I have time with only that parameter and see.
I hope someone will find this useful.
I wish to everyone a Happy New Year!