Portable ScummVM (USB)

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NeXuS
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am

Portable ScummVM (USB)

Post by NeXuS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:45 am

Hi.
Iam missing a portable version of ScummVM to use ist on an USB Stick (windows).
http://portableapps.com/node/2185

It should save all "Gamelocations" and settings into an ini File and should not use the registry or something else.

Would this be possible?

That i can carry the Scummgames everywhere and play it on every computer without leaving some files on the PC or add/change some things on it.

User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

Post by LordHoto » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:51 am

using a batch file to start ScummVM with the parameters you need should work, shouldn't it? there is a option to specify a configfile, I guess that's what you are searching for.

NeXuS
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am

Post by NeXuS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:57 am

LordHoto wrote:using a batch file to start ScummVM with the parameters you need should work, shouldn't it? there is a option to specify a configfile, I guess that's what you are searching for.
Dont know wich parameters.
If i set permanent where the games are (maybe E:/Scumm/Indiana/) then it could be that it doesnt work on other PCs (maybe it the USB Drive on F: and it searches on E:/Scumm/Indiana/ the game, but it is now on F:/Scumm/Indiana/ at it cant find it) and i have to change the parameters everytime.

It would be easier if Scumm automaticly creates a file maybe
Scumm.ini where it saves all settings and the Fileplace (like PStart).

But if it would work with parameters then it would be ok.
Where can i find them?

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:02 pm

NeXuS wrote: But if it would work with parameters then it would be ok.
Where can i find them?
umm, the README file? :)

I made an .exe file which functions as a loader for my BASS and FOTAQ installers (nsis script) - http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/videogames/

it even checks if the usb stick is read-only (so you don't get a bad surprise when you want to save your game after 2 hours)

clem

NeXuS
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am

Post by NeXuS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:32 pm

clem wrote:
NeXuS wrote: But if it would work with parameters then it would be ok.
Where can i find them?
umm, the README file? :)
Yea but i cant set relative Drivenames - like

%USBStick%/Scumm/Games/
it needs everytime
E:/Scumm/Games/ and doesnt work on an another PC where USB is F:/


- like PStart : http://www.pegtop.net/start/

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:27 pm

NeXuS wrote:Yea but i cant set relative Drivenames - like

%USBStick%/Scumm/Games/
it needs everytime
E:/Scumm/Games/ and doesnt work on an another PC where USB is F:/


- like PStart : http://www.pegtop.net/start/
try:
./Scumm/Games/

should be relative to the .exe directory then

NeXuS
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am

Post by NeXuS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:49 pm

Doesnt work

Code: Select all

[scummvm]
gfx_mode=3x
music_volume=192
speech_volume=192
browser_lastpath=.\Scumm\
aspect_ratio=false
music_driver=auto
lastselectedgame=
native_mt32=false
subtitles=false
fullscreen=false
sfx_volume=192
enable_gs=false
multi_midi=false
versioninfo=0.9.0pre
savepath=.\Scumm\save\

[indy3]
description=Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (German/DOS/VGA)
path=.\Scumm\Indiana Jones 3\
platform=pc
gameid=indy3
language=de

[atlantis]
description=Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (German/DOS/Floppy)
path=.\Scumm\Indiana Jones 4\
platform=pc
gameid=atlantis
language=de
It doesnt show any game and doesnt use the settings.

I have the scummvm.ini in the Scumm directory where is the Scummvm.exe (0.9 - June 21). It tries to load everytime from C:/Windows/scummvm.ini and not from the scummvm.ini on the USB Stick.

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:15 pm

NeXuS wrote:I have the scummvm.ini in the Scumm directory where is the Scummvm.exe (0.9 - June 21). It tries to load everytime from C:/Windows/scummvm.ini and not from the scummvm.ini on the USB Stick.
which brings us back to the commandline parameters listed in the README which you can use to point to a custom scummvm.ini location - I remember someone putting the relative directory stuff ( ./scummvm.ini ) there

NeXuS
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am

Post by NeXuS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:33 pm

clem wrote:
NeXuS wrote:I have the scummvm.ini in the Scumm directory where is the Scummvm.exe (0.9 - June 21). It tries to load everytime from C:/Windows/scummvm.ini and not from the scummvm.ini on the USB Stick.
which brings us back to the commandline parameters listed in the README which you can use to point to a custom scummvm.ini location - I remember someone putting the relative directory stuff ( ./scummvm.ini ) there
Ok. Got the config to run with -c scummvm.ini
But the problem is that ScummVM doesnt work if i set the game (see config above) to
path=.\Scumm\Indiana Jones 3\
ScummVM tries to start the game and crashes after that

it runs only with
path=E:\Scumm\Indiana Jones 3\

Any ideas to get ScummVM portable?

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:42 pm

NeXuS wrote:Any ideas to get ScummVM portable?
you still could give my sources a shot:
clem wrote: I made an .exe file which functions as a loader for my BASS and FOTAQ installers (nsis script) - http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/videogames/

it even checks if the usb stick is read-only (so you don't get a bad surprise when you want to save your game after 2 hours)
it checks if the files are there,
checks if the usb stick is write protected,
gets current path,
writes ini with current path to the games and savegame directories,
executes scummvm with parameters to use the modified ini and for accuracy's sake also tells it the savegame and datafile directory again

and it even has a nice custom icon and hides the black message window

User avatar
glokidd
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: british columbia, canada
Contact:

Post by glokidd » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:58 pm

nice :D i might check that out (even if it means i have to buy a usb drive :D )

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:30 pm

glokidd wrote:nice :D i might check that out (even if it means i have to buy a usb drive :D )
should work with a CD too (if you can live with the constant write-protection warning, hehe)

or just move it around on your harddisk, it shouldn't care about the directory it is in

raven101
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Post by raven101 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:46 pm

My apologies for bringing up quite an old thread again, I'd just like to say to Clem - I take my hat off to you for your loading program (though I haven't tried it yet, if it doesn't work I may take my hat back!).

Also - on the topic of running ScummVM portably, how often does ScummVM write back to the HD/whatever - i.e. if it's a ridiculous amount, then i may give second thoughts to running it on a usb pendrive! [I know there are certain applications where it would be foolish to run from pendrive, and while I doubt this is one, it's certainly better to ask than have to throw one away!]

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:12 pm

raven101 wrote:how often does ScummVM write back to the HD/whatever - i.e. if it's a ridiculous amount, then i may give second thoughts to running it on a usb pendrive!
as far as I know, ScummVM writes to the disk on the following occasions
- you add a game to the launcher or change settings in the launcher (not sure when it updates the .ini file, I guess either when you click OK or when you quit ScummVM)
- you save a game
- the game creates an autosave

in either case, the amount of data written to the disk is just some kilobytes

clem

raven101
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Post by raven101 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:35 am

Excellent, thank you very much for your quick response. I have two comments however on the matter:

1) This is most certainly not a complaint, just to let you know - there's no sign of your program on that link Clem...
2) This is a very very easily managable goal just by changing your ini files a little as people above have suggested (having just got it working myself).

Nexus: If you're still trying to get it working, I would suggest simply storing the scummvm.ini file in the same directory as the Scummvm.exe file, and running with the parameter '-c scummvm.ini' (or perhaps even creating a script or batch file to do this for you!) so you actually run

Code: Select all

scummvm -c scummvm.ini
Then in the config.ini file, for MI1 for example change

Code: Select all

path=c:\scummvm\MI1\
to

Code: Select all

path=MI1\
if you've got your MI1 folder within scummvm (for example).

Now it doesn't matter where you store the thing (what directory, what disc etc) so long as everything is moved together, it should be fine.

Post Reply