Scummvm.ini options for Ultima VI?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bliznik

Scummvm.ini options for Ultima VI?

Post by bliznik »

So I'm just starting to play Ultima VI. I was a bit disappointed to find that I'm unable to Transfer my character from Ultima V, but I guess I can work around that using spam, spam, spam, humbug in the game.

One question I had...how do I tweak settings? I know in Nuvie there is a whole XML list of options that I may use...do any of these work? I tried changing the scummvm.ini file to have "scale_factor=2" or "skip_intro=yes" but that din't seem to do anything. Also, it appears as though the game itself has some options that don't seem to apply, like I tried to select that the intro be skipped, but I was not able to. I tried to select that I start Savage Empire or Martian Dreams, and that didn't seem to work either.

Is there documentation somewhere for ScummVM for Ultima VI that lists out the available options and what works/does not work? Or is it just trial and error for now?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Scummvm.ini options for Ultima VI?

Post by dreammaster »

bliznik wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 pm One question I had...how do I tweak settings? I know in Nuvie there is a whole XML list of options that I may use...do any of these work? I tried changing the scummvm.ini file to have "scale_factor=2" or "skip_intro=yes" but that din't seem to do anything. Also, it appears as though the game itself has some options that don't seem to apply, like I tried to select that the intro be skipped, but I was not able to. I tried to select that I start Savage Empire or Martian Dreams, and that didn't seem to work either.
Some options relating to resolution and scaling no longer follow the Nuvie settings, but rather use the ScummVM systems. As for skip_intro, I checked, and it turned out to have been accidentally removed. I've re-added it back in and tested it.. with a setting in scummvm.ini in the game section, I added ultima6/skip_intro=yes, and it worked - settings put in scummvm.ini are in the form of section/keyname. Or you can provide your own nuvie.cfg just like the original did.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

dreammaster wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:49 am Some options relating to resolution and scaling no longer follow the Nuvie settings, but rather use the ScummVM systems. As for skip_intro, I checked, and it turned out to have been accidentally removed. I've re-added it back in and tested it.. with a setting in scummvm.ini in the game section, I added ultima6/skip_intro=yes, and it worked - settings put in scummvm.ini are in the form of section/keyname. Or you can provide your own nuvie.cfg just like the original did.
Oh OK, thanks for adding that back in! It would be nice to know which of the Nuvie settings work are active and which ones are not...maybe in the wiki? I'm not sure the best way to provide that information.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

bliznik wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:24 am Oh OK, thanks for adding that back in! It would be nice to know which of the Nuvie settings work are active and which ones are not...maybe in the wiki? I'm not sure the best way to provide that information.
I agree. It would be helpful if someone could flesh out / transfer information on the settings in the Wiki. I'm just a bit too busy with AGS at the moment for it to be a priority.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

dreammaster wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm I agree. It would be helpful if someone could flesh out / transfer information on the settings in the Wiki. I'm just a bit too busy with AGS at the moment for it to be a priority.
Makes sense. Priorities. ^_^ Good luck with AGS!