Newbie guides?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mynuet

Newbie guides?

Post by mynuet »

My son reallyreallyREALLY is trying to use ScummVM to play the Living Books series, especially Green Eggs and Ham, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it happen. He's nonverbal and autistic, so explaining to him that Mama is dumber than she thought is not an option, and leaving him to figure it out is also not likely to end well.

Are there guides for total and complete neophytes? I've tried poking around the site/forum and a lot of the instructions are words I only technically understand as English. If I had time to sit and dedicate to it I might eventually learn it, but every time I sit down to try to concentrate, a student needs tutoring in the evening or I need to update grades or my son is hanging over my shoulder and getting increasingly upset that he sees ScummVM, but I have not made it start playing Green Eggs and Ham, and there's only so much bruising I care to endure.

Ideally I could get it to work on his Chromebook - I got the program itself to load, but then GEAH didn't show up as a game to be loaded. If I have to get him a Windows machine to make it happen, I will figure out a way. I'd even be happy to come up with a modest compensation for the time spent providing grandma-type instructions so that I can get it to work and make him happy. Please? Anyone? Help?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Newbie guides?

Post by criezy »

As a starting point I would recommend having a look at the documentation at https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/.

One important aspect to understand is that ScummVM does not include any game. You need to have the original game already, or buy it separately, and ScummVM can then be used to play the game on modern (or not so modern) systems and not just the ones for which the game was originally released.