Running Grim Fandango in Scummvm

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marnyanimal

Running Grim Fandango in Scummvm

Post by marnyanimal »

Hi all

After the somewhat recent news that Residual has been incorporated in Scummvm I was hoping I would at last be able to play Grim Fandango on my Galaxy S10.

I have all the Lab files from both disks plus the patch file in a folder on my phone's memory but when I go to add game I get the dreaded "could not find any game in the specified director" message.

I have several other games up and running so this has got me stumped.

Any ideas on what I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: Running Grim Fandango in Scummvm

Post by digitall »

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16200 i.e. You need a nightly build as v2.2.0 release was done before the merger with ResidualVM
valen771

Post by valen771 »

ResidualVM isnt supported yet by the Android port of ScummVM.

see the answers in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16080&sid=87a10966 ... 4ed6639764
marnyanimal

Post by marnyanimal »

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Hello guys
Im wondering what files i need and how to make the folder in order to give it a try on ScummVM on PS3 ?

Hum ok i find this :
You will need to copy the data files from your Grim Fandango CDs into one directory. Specifically, you'll need:

All of the LAB files from both CDs.
A copy of the Grim Fandango 1.01 updated EXE. The patch can be downloaded here

Sorry ;)
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Im not able to find the "A copy of the Grim Fandango 1.01 updated EXE. The patch can be downloaded here"

I click on "here" and the link dont show the Grim Fandango 1.01 updated EXE.

Please i need help ;)

EDIT : ok i found it by myself :
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... ango_Patch
Mr_Shield

Post by Mr_Shield »

marnyanimal wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 am Hi all

After the somewhat recent news that Residual has been incorporated in Scummvm I was hoping I would at last be able to play Grim Fandango on my Galaxy S10.

I have all the Lab files from both disks plus the patch file in a folder on my phone's memory but when I go to add game I get the dreaded "could not find any game in the specified director" message.

Thanks!

Grim Fandango works on Android ScummVM, at least on my Nvidia Shield, but you have to download version 2.3.0 ( not stable )
Go to this link and from the Android versions choose one from the "ScummVM latest" column

https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/snapshots

I don't know how the controls will be , In the nvidia shield at the moment I have no choice but to connect a real keyboard
Cognoscenti

Post by Cognoscenti »

Mr_Shield wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:17 pm
marnyanimal wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 am Hi all

Thanks!

Grim Fandango works on Android ScummVM, at least on my Nvidia Shield, but you have to download version 2.3.0 ( not stable )
Go to this link and from the Android versions choose one from the "ScummVM latest" column

https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/snapshots

I don't know how the controls will be , In the nvidia shield at the moment I have no choice but to connect a real keyboard
It is possible to connect a USB wireless keyboard on an Android TV to be detected by ScummVM ?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Cognoscenti wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:54 am
It is possible to connect a USB wireless keyboard on an Android TV to be detected by ScummVM ?
I am not sure what you mean by USB wireless, but I've tested ScummVM Android with a Bluetooth Wireless keyboard and a USB wired keyboard (connected to the device with a USB adaptor).

The Android devices I've tested with was an Android 12 phone, an Android 9 tablet, and a Amazon FireTV stick (not the 4K one). I have *not* tested with Android TV. The Amazon FireTV stick needs the arm-v7a version of ScummVM app, the other devices worked with the arm64-v8a version.

I think, as long as you can pair your Android device with the keyboard it should work in ScummVM as well.

In 2.8.0 we also resolved an issue with ScummVM app closing each time the Bluetooth keyboard was disconnecting (by on/off switch, or sleep mode or other).

I have only briefly played Grim Fandango with the wireless keyboard; you might need to do a bit of remapping of keys to get it to work as you want first. Note: Movement seemed a bit choppy, but running (Shift+arrow keys) worked too. Maybe there's a potential technical issue here to investigate for optimizing key repetition for this engine.

I had to set a keyboard shortcut for ScummVM's menu from Global Options -> Keymaps -> Menu (to Ctrl+Fn+F5), and add a keymap shortcut for GUI > Interaction (assuming you won't have a mouse connected or won't be using the TV remote as well just to select GUI menu options) (I set it to to Right-Alt key.

For the remapping above, at least for setting a proper "interact" key shortcut you will need to have a touch interface working or a mouse connected or a the device's TV remote (if it's Android) with a select button. Otherwise you won't be able to click on "Apply" (it seems we don't have a default keyboard shortcut for "interact"; although I could be wrong).
Cognoscenti

Post by Cognoscenti »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:02 am
Cognoscenti wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:54 am
I am not sure what you mean by USB wireless, but I've tested ScummVM Android with a Bluetooth Wireless keyboard and a USB wired keyboard (connected to the device with a USB adaptor).

The Android devices I've tested with was an Android 12 phone, an Android 9 tablet, and a Amazon FireTV stick (not the 4K one). I have *not* tested with Android TV. The Amazon FireTV stick needs the arm-v7a version of ScummVM app, the other devices worked with the arm64-v8a version.

I think, as long as you can pair your Android device with the keyboard it should work in ScummVM as well.

In 2.8.0 we also resolved an issue with ScummVM app closing each time the Bluetooth keyboard was disconnecting (by on/off switch, or sleep mode or other).

I have only briefly played Grim Fandango with the wireless keyboard; you might need to do a bit of remapping of keys to get it to work as you want first. Note: Movement seemed a bit choppy, but running (Shift+arrow keys) worked too. Maybe there's a potential technical issue here to investigate for optimizing key repetition for this engine.

I had to set a keyboard shortcut for ScummVM's menu from Global Options -> Keymaps -> Menu (to Ctrl+Fn+F5), and add a keymap shortcut for GUI > Interaction (assuming you won't have a mouse connected or won't be using the TV remote as well just to select GUI menu options) (I set it to to Right-Alt key.

For the remapping above, at least for setting a proper "interact" key shortcut you will need to have a touch interface working or a mouse connected or a the device's TV remote (if it's Android) with a select button. Otherwise you won't be able to click on "Apply" (it seems we don't have a default keyboard shortcut for "interact"; although I could be wrong).
Thanks you so much for your reply/explanation Praetorian I will check my TV specs and try somes things and get back to you in PM :)