EMI PS2 -> PC

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Randomly Chosen

Re: EMI PS2 -> PC

Post by Randomly Chosen »

Gannet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:17 pm Higher Quality Audio (status: success)
The PS2 videos have 48kHz uncompressed audio tracks, while the PC version has 22kHz bink audio.
This is relatively straight-forward to add to the PC version, though it requires some Windows-exclusive tools:
  1. Demux all the PS2 videos using PSS Demux.
  2. Cut the SMUSH headers out of the PC .m4b videos.
  3. Use RAD Video Tools to mix in the wav files to the corresponding m4b files. I recommend quality = 3.
  4. Add the SMUSH headers back in.
Note: Skip the "sory" video as the PS2 version of this is a few seconds shorter.
This only works in ResidualVM. If you want to do this for the original game you'll need to find a version of the RAD Video Tools that uses the old audio format (I used v1.0 with quality = 2).
I have been able to compile a version of the video files with uncompressed audio compatible with the original executable (or, at least, the GOG version). I haven't tested it thouroughly, but it is working for the first cutscenes of the game and all the videos are playing correctly on VLC. I wasn't able to locate inside the PS2 iso the videos pertaining the opening and closing of the monkey head. I don't know if the reside somewhere else or it's due to those scenes not being pre-rendered on the PS2 version. Anyway, would it be allowed to upload those files in the forum so other people could use them without having to do the full process? Although just a tiny fraction of the game, the videos are copyrighted content after all, and I don't know if that would be considered fair use or not. :?

I have uploaded the files to Mega, but I'll remove the link if that is not allowed: https://mega.nz/file/nqh3VSQB#tl8-TGnEq ... C_MxMPB-6s
Jon God

Re: EMI PS2 -> PC

Post by Jon God »

Late to the party, but this is fantastic. I might have weird taste, but EFMI is one of my favorite adventure games, but due to the better control and Monkey Combat guide, the PS2 version is by far easier to play. Having these additions added to the version playable in ScummVM is a dream come true.