Widescreen mod

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Cervian

Re: Widescreen mod

Post by Cervian »

Nitrus wrote: there have been many such attempts before(including one by me)
Someone uses your model of Manny's Office?
http://www.theriftarcade.com/heres-mann ... -the-rift/
I am pretty sure that armchair is your...
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

What I did was use the image from Manny's office as a background, I eyeballed a Camera FOV out of that, then I modeled on top of it, which means my model is by no means accurate. I did post the *.ma (maya source file) somewhere in this forum, so if he really is using it, he could have gotten it from there. He may not be using my model though, I tried to get the models as close to the image as I possibly could, so he may have done the same. I didn't use any of the variables from the *.set files because frankly, at that point I didn't even know of their existence.

I didn't license my model, nor did I want to. I just posted in because someone asked me to. I don't know if I even could license it as it's a recreation of a proprietary scene, and anybody with some modeling skills could do it really, I just had some extra time on my hands then :)

So if he indeed is using it, I'm glad he's put it to good use :D
Cervian

Post by Cervian »

Just reapproaching th possibility of a 3d remake...i think the bottleneck will be defintely animations. It will be extremely hard to accomplish such target without a better exporting tool. Im working on a collada exporter to export not only models, but still skeleton, pivot of body parts And maybe I will try to import .key.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Take a look at GrimEdi, it already handles animations, maybe you'll get some ideas:
https://github.com/jlaw90/Grimja
kavehth

Post by kavehth »

Cervian wrote:
Nitrus wrote: there have been many such attempts before(including one by me)
Someone uses your model of Manny's Office?
http://www.theriftarcade.com/heres-mann ... -the-rift/
I am pretty sure that armchair is your...
I made that, and you are right i did use Nitrus's models as i mentioned here.
Nitrus wrote:What I did was use the image from Manny's office as a background, I eyeballed a Camera FOV out of that, then I modeled on top of it, which means my model is by no means accurate. I did post the *.ma (maya source file) somewhere in this forum, so if he really is using it, he could have gotten it from there. He may not be using my model though, I tried to get the models as close to the image as I possibly could, so he may have done the same. I didn't use any of the variables from the *.set files because frankly, at that point I didn't even know of their existence.

I didn't license my model, nor did I want to. I just posted in because someone asked me to. I don't know if I even could license it as it's a recreation of a proprietary scene, and anybody with some modeling skills could do it really, I just had some extra time on my hands then :)

So if he indeed is using it, I'm glad he's put it to good use :D
Thanks for creating it, you did a great job creating it just from the background. i actually tried to finish your work when you put up your model a couple of years ago and that is kind of the reason i started to learn blender, i didn't get very far back then but i thought I'd finish it for the release of the remastered.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Well, you've done a great job!
You've come far since then, keep up the good work :)

About the model, as I only created it for a render back then, I didn't really care about topology, you must have had some trouble with that :oops:
Botje

Post by Botje »

I just pushed a `side-textures` branch to my github repository (Botje/residualvm).
It contains the necessary architectural work to actually load and render textures to the sides of the game texture.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rolthpwdhu6li ... 3.png?dl=0
In this case the code is statically loading a green and red .png file, but hooking into the `postCamChangeHandler` in GrimEngine will allow per-setup side textures.
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

So it's 16:9 aspect ratio. What resolution? Is it limited to 480px height? If it is 480px height, then the width would be... 854px? Is it limited to .png files only? Are they rendered behind the game backgrounds or in front? Is alpha channel supported (png24)? How are they loaded, is there a special "wide" folder? Or is the "userpatch" required? What's the naming standard: original_room_name_left.png & riginal_room_name_right.png? How can I test this branch as an end user? Can more cinematic format be achieved, like 2.35 : 1?

I'll work on the new backgrounds this weekend and I'll find the old ones too. Expect pure background addons by the end of the week, all ready for in-game implementation.

Can anyone extract first 20-ish Year 1 El Marrow backgrounds and put it online anywhere so I can download them and continue my work? I've used Fraps in the past but if anyone could post them online in raw (were they in bmp?) it would really save me some time.
Botje

Post by Botje »

that's a bunch of questions...
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: So it's 16:9 aspect ratio. What resolution? Can more cinematic format be achieved, like 2.35 : 1?
Depends on your monitor resolution. There is no support for custom resolutions beyond that for now.
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Is it limited to 480px height? If it is 480px height, then the width would be... 854px?
Assuming a 16:9 1920x1080 display, the game is rendered in a 1440x1080 rectangle.
That leaves a (1920-1440)/2 = 240x1080 slice for each side texture.
The side textures are loaded at whatever resolution they come in and are stretched to that size.
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Is it limited to .png files only? Are they rendered behind the game backgrounds or in front? Is alpha channel supported (png24)? How are they loaded, is there a special "wide" folder? Or is the "userpatch" required? What's the naming standard: original_room_name_left.png & riginal_room_name_right.png?
For now it's just "left.png" and "right.png", PNG just seemed like a convenient format.
The postCamChangeHandler can load "room_{left,right}.png" filenames, sure.
I haven't tested with transparent PNGs, but it should work.
They are rendered to the sides of the game texture, so the order does not really matter i think?
I just plopped the files in my engine-data directory in my build directory, but support for a "widescreen.lab" or "wide" directory is a two-line change.
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: How can I test this branch as an end user?
You (or someone) need to compile it from scratch at the moment.
Note: I did not submit this code to the residualvm repository yet, this is just a proof of concept. I have no idea whether this will be merged into the main branch.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

This is great stuff!

I have to wonder, though. Doesn't ResidualVM still render the game at the original resolution? There's no up-ressing of Manny, for example.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any reason to have higher resolution images on the side :-/
ultraneonoirantihero

Thanks Botje! Expect first batch of 240x1080px slices by Sunday.
ultraneonoirantihero

Here they are, the first batch of widescreen add-ons! I've packed them all in a zip archive, here is the download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97q4amihxle6m ... 1.zip?dl=0

And below as a preview is the contents of the zip archive... and also if some masochist would like to save them all manually :)

I'm eagerly waiting to see how they'll look in-game.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Absolutely wonderful.

Can't wait to try them out in-game the first time
Botje

Post by Botje »

After an evening's work:
http://imgur.com/a/6dIZy

I've updated the code to load images of the form "$SETUP_NAME_left.png" and "$SETUP_NAME_right.png".
The code prints the name of the setup to the log file when it's looking, so you can use that as a guide for renaming.
I did a few already: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lbii7tqdrek0 ... s.zip?dl=0

Not sure why the black ridge is there...
ultraneonoirantihero

Great work :) Looks amazing!

Maybe the black ridge shows due to scaling, image interpolation side-effect... the image edges are blurred? Would it be stupid to make these add-ons in 240x1080px, even though the original backgrounds are in 480p? But then would the ridge re-appear if the resolution is other than 1080p?

You updated the code, but you probably use C# & GitHub... and I work in Java & Subversion. Any quick tutorial to build your branch locally on Ubuntu :D

If these room names are visible from the ScummRevisited I'll write down image names and post the new add-ons version on Dropbox.

I also notice that add-ons are brighter in "Manny office console" scene, and in "Deck of cards on the table" the red chair looks awfully compressed. Is it like that in-game, or the images you posted just have high compression? Because in my PSD files I made almost seamless transition. Maybe the in-game brightness controls mess things up?

P.S. I'm making more backgrounds. Expect the next batch on Sunday too.

P.P.S. Yes, the addons have blurred edges. Interpolation side-effect due to upscaling.

You can see on the 2nd image how the original backgrounds have a hard color transition to the ResidualVM window, but in the upper left corner when you look at add-on part it's little blurry... and that "little blurry" part is the 1px black ridge. I've suspected that, that's something that happens in video editing, Photoshop and in Java too when I added some icons...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2218 ... ing-blurry

Botje, advise: 240x1080px images or will you use new way of upscaling interpolation?