Can I get the correct full-screen aspect ratio on a 5:4 LCD?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mband

Can I get the correct full-screen aspect ratio on a 5:4 LCD?

Post by mband »

I have an LCD monitor which has a 5:4 aspect ratio instead of the CRT-standard 4:3. (Note most 17" and 19" LCD's have this 5:4 aspect ratio these days). This means that all screen resolutions other than the LCD's native 1280x1024 resolution are stretched vertically. This includes all full-screen resolutions used by ScummVM.

There doesn't seem to be any setting on the monitor or in my WinXP video card driver (ATI 8500) that disables this stretching.

Is there any way I can run ScummVM full-screen on this monitor that will compensate for my 5:4 monitor aspect ratio? I tried the aspect-ratio correction, but that only applies to stretching games from 320x200 to 320x240, and still assumes square sceen-pixels.

Mike
clem

Post by clem »

I don't think ScummVM has any option to counter this behaviour, seems more like an SDL issue to me?

clem
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Can I get the correct full-screen aspect ratio on a 5:4

Post by sev »

mband wrote:There doesn't seem to be any setting on the monitor or in my WinXP video card driver (ATI 8500) that disables this stretching.
It has to be there. Open diaplay properties->Advanced->Displays->Panel and there you will see 'Scale image' in Panel Attributes. Check "Expand while maintaining aspect ratio"
clem wrote:I don't think ScummVM has any option to counter this behaviour, seems more like an SDL issue to me?
Nah, it's driver thing.

Eugene
mband

Post by mband »

I don't seem to have the "Displays" tab you're referring to. I'll try reinstalling the ATI video card drivers and see if that helps.

Mike
mband

Post by mband »

Unfortunately, the ATI Radeon 8500 doesn't seem to have the "Expand while maintaining aspect ratio" feature anywhere, even with the latest drivers. I also can't shrink the vertical size of my screen with manual controls because the monitor (a Dell E196FP) automatically adjusts to fill the whole vertical area whenever I try such an adjustment. (I tried the latest monitor drivers as well, to no avail.)

It appears that feature request <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418823> (widescreen support) would allow me to use my LCD's native 1280x1024 to get the proper aspect ratios (albeit with black borders). Is there any chance this feature might make it into the 0.9.0 release?

Thanks,
Mike
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Nvidia chipset based video cards, only offer those options, if an LCD monitor is connected via DVI.
ATI chipset based video cards, might have the same limitation.
vikingstew

Post by vikingstew »

I think that only some ATI video cards have this option in their drivers. I have a sapphire radeon 9600xt and it doesn't seem to have this option. Just another reason to go with Nvidia.
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

I'm running OSX Tiger on a Powermac hooked up to a 1440x900 display, and I also can't work out a way to run fullscreen without everything being squashed into the wrong aspect ratio.

I presume this is a monitor problem, though - checking on the OSD, it says it is receiving a 640x480 input, but it's cleverly deciding I want this mashed across the whole screen. No visible options for H-Size or V-Size.

Ah well, it was cheap. The only workaround I can think of would be to display large black panels either side of the 4:3 output, and I don't know if this would be ScummVM or SDL.