Ubuntu Port

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

Ubuntu Port

Post by Graxer »

I notice that the Ubuntu port hasn't been updated since February, whereas the Windows port was last updated in May. Would it be possible for a new build to be made for the Ubuntu version?

I was just wanting to ask. If it's too much to do don't worry about it.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

You could build it yourself. It's not that hard in Linux since everything is readily at hand through the repos for your distro. I do it myself in Fedora and Mac OS X, and I haven't even mastered walking upright yet.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'll quickly type in the instructions. It's far easier than on Windows.

Get the ResidualVM source - the 'trunk' folder.

Open a terminal in the trunk folder. Probably something like:
/home/graxer/residual/trunk

Type:
1.) ./configure
2.) make
3.) sudo make install

After 1. you will be notified if you don't have all the required libraries. ResidualVM doesn't use as many as ScummVM, partly as it doesn't need flac, mp3, ogg and mpeg2.
To get these libraries I type:
sudo apt-get install name of library

Name of library being those, if any, that you are notified of after 1.
Sometimes, although I can't remember if it applies to ResidualVM itself, getting these libraries for compiling on Linux in general can be a little harder because the library you're after comes under a different name, usually as it's part of a collection I think. SDL springs to mind here for me in the past so then I end up using the apt-get GUI Synaptic and in the case of a needed library with sdl in the name I'll do a search for all sdl and then start installing stuff until I can issue the configure command in 1. and it stops throwing up errors. Quite often I find for compiling the word dev in the file's name helps for example here something like sdl-dev maybe.

Edit:
As I might link to this 'rough around the edges' compiling tutorial in the ScummVM forum in the future I should mention about the 'configure' file in the main trunk folder. It might need editing and must be done before entering './configure' in your terminal (1).
You can configure your build here a little. This file really comes into it's own with ScummVM (although hopefully ResidualVM's configure will have as many options one day) as you can turn the individual engines on or off with a simple edit in a text editor adding either 'yes' or 'no'. With ScummVM stuff like mp3 support work the same. A yes or a no. Generally most stuff is on (yes) by default and things like mpeg2 is off as default as it's not needed any more. It's usually worth having a quick check of the configure file before compiling. The stuff we're concerned with is near the top. It actually starts at line 78 as I type this today in Ubuntu gnome-gedit.

After the build process has finished (2) you should have a binary executable in the trunk folder. The last step (3) will install it and any other required files into Ubuntu's common paths for binaries and associated files. I believe it's somewhere under /usr/local/bin for the main executable itself but typically with Linux the associated files like the gui zip and for ScummVM the engine-data like kyra.dat are in a different folder. After running 3) the terminal output will show the paths of everything it's installed.

To start the binary (I'll carry on with ScummVM as the example - as well as Ubuntu Gnome) if you start your terminal from 'Applications' - 'Accessories' for example

Code: Select all

redbreast@ubuntu:~$
just type scummvm to start the installed binary or 'residual' (without'') for a little grim

Code: Select all

redbreast@ubuntu:~$scummvm
Or you can just click the binary in the trunk folder.
If you're just using these binaries locally fine but if you want to use them on a different PC you'll probably have to read up on stuff like how the dependencies work and using stripped or unstripped binaries.
Good luck.
Last edited by segra on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Thanks for your help! I wasn't sure how to do it and now it works! :D