I would like to help in anyway i can, please suggest.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CavemanzZ

I would like to help in anyway i can, please suggest.

Post by CavemanzZ »

Hello,

I first started using ScummVm a good few years back, and have since seen many games added, including discworld which was great.

The absolute best thing about ScummVM is the ability to play the games on other platforms that it has been ported to.

This, Will be the future of residual, i just know it will.

My vision, and im sure many others, can see ResidualVM being played on the PSP, running the tales of monkey island, or Monkey 2 special edition, or season 3 of telltale sam and max.

Unfortunatly, every time ive checked up on the progress of residual, not much, (from an outsiders point of view) has changed.

I really wish i could program and develope because i would put so much time into this. Unfortunatly i cant.

I am however, offering any help you guys think i can provide.

The dream is to have all the telltale stuff, Grim Fandango and others like Discworld Noir running on cross platforms, psp in particular.

How can i help, i am willing to do extensive alpha/beta testing if needed. I am willing to donate to the project if i see it moving in the right direction, and im sure other people would too.

I think if what you need is developers, is you need to find them, not them find you. post in forums, advertise, do whatever is needed to get in contact with people who have the skills.

I hope you guys manage this.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Well, we're all willing to test...but that doesn't really speed up the developing process. So how would you suggest the existing devs 'advertise'? Posting about the project on other AG boards might be an idea. Participating in GSOC might be another. But to a degree it comes down to, I think, how sexy a project seems to be. So how do you think ResidualVM can show some leg?
zweitplatzierungsboy

Re: I would like to help in anyway i can, please suggest.

Post by zweitplatzierungsboy »

CavemanzZ wrote:I really wish i could program and develope because i would put so much time into this. Unfortunatly i cant.
Learn it :)

Honestly, if you have the time (and i guess you do when you *really* want to put a lot of effort into ResidualVM), check out what language is used to develop and learn it.

I know that this will take a lot of time, but in the end you'll have learned a language and contributed something worthwhile to a project, lots and lots of people all over the world really appreciate :)

as for the telltale stuff, don't think that support for their releases will happen for at least another 10 years...
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Re: I would like to help in anyway i can, please suggest.

Post by jvprat »

CavemanzZ wrote:My vision, and im sure many others, can see ResidualVM being played on the PSP, running the tales of monkey island, or Monkey 2 special edition, or season 3 of telltale sam and max.
As MeddlingMonk said, forget about the Telltale titles for now, their engine is still in development. About MI2:SE, it will be in 2D, and ResidualVM is aimed at 2.5D/3D games.
CavemanzZ wrote:I really wish i could program and develope because i would put so much time into this. Unfortunatly i cant.
Again, as MeddlingMonk said, you can learn it, you just have to be motivated. It isn't an innate power ;)
CavemanzZ wrote:I am however, offering any help you guys think i can provide.
I think the best you can do is have initiative and start things yourself, not waiting for others to give you work.

For example, you could make an exhaustive research for things you think that should be done in order to improve the current status and make a list of them: be it missing features, bugs, typos on the website, writing missing documentation, etc. Small and big tasks, all of them matter.

Once you have this list, you'll see which tasks you can do and which ones you can't. Then discuss those tasks here, in order to get approval from the project (you might want to do something that the project managers think isn't worth it or even counterproductive) and not to work on something someone else is already working on (probably not the case right now ;)).

You could also post the list so other people knows which open tasks are available and maybe someone starts working too.

Of course I'm telling it to you, but it could be done by anyone else. You just need to be proactive and you'll start helping.
CavemanzZ wrote:How can i help, i am willing to do extensive alpha/beta testing if needed. I am willing to donate to the project if i see it moving in the right direction, and im sure other people would too.
Donations would probably help once their volume was enough to "hire" a developer full-time so he could leave his current job and dedicate himself to the project. Since that means a lot of money, I don't think we'll ever see donations help ResidualVM's development.
CavemanzZ wrote:I think if what you need is developers, is you need to find them, not them find you. post in forums, advertise, do whatever is needed to get in contact with people who have the skills.
Developers are usually good at developing, not at interacting with other people ;) As I said above, if you think you can bring new developers to the project, just do it, don't expect others to do it.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

One thing I wonder about is, how would someone interested in contributing code even get started? Of course there's the link to join the project on the SourceForge project page, and anyone can look at the source code, but is there information available on what is and what isn't known about GrimE? Maybe I'm just being thick, but I don't find anything really on the website or the project page or the wiki that lays out what tasks they're facing and what skill-sets they may be lacking. Then again, many projects are slow-going in the early stages. ScummVM certainly was, and now look at it. Ditto Exult.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing. I'm sitting here, wanting a project to work on, since some time has passed since the last time I really got my hands dirty with some proper C++, but there doesn't really seem to be any "stuff we need", or for that sake, any documentation to work from, to find stuff to look at.

Where does a guy start?