You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

Post by Raziel »

@eriktorbjorn

I see, thank you for the insight.

I wasn't able to test yet, since i'm building it locally and Glk wasn't set to build by default yet.

But i did write me an arexx script which leaches every supported game (distinguished by engine) from ifarchive.org, so much much more stuff to test with when it finally arrives :-D
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

Are there any plans of adding DAAD sub-engine?

DAAD was very popular in the 80-90 in Spain. It is a derivate of PAWS specially tailored for the company Aventuras AD. So it hadlittle tweaks to support Spanish, images and to be able to export games to the common platforms.
Spanish community is quite active and it has been releasing some games under this system, even expanding it.
The resulting DAAD is here by a common effort to recover this software. A big hoorray to them

http://8-bit.info/infinite-imaginations-aventuras-ad/

The source code and decoder can be located here: https://github.com/daad-adventure-writer

As it is derived from quills/paws it could help adding support for them...

Sorry if this have been asked before, I can't search by GLK.
Lillesvamp

Post by Lillesvamp »

dreammaster wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:40 pm [As to your concerns, this is the one outstanding limitation with having them in ScummVM, yes. The window size is fixed, and even if you use the OpenGL renderer which allows the window to be resize, or go fullscreen, the surface size remains the same, and simply gets stretched appropriately. This has been fine in the past, and was indeed necessary, since all the older games we supported were originally written for fixed resolutions. It's only now with the Glk engine that has a lot of text that it becomes advantageous if we did have some mechanism in place to allow for the backend to change the resolution, and report the changed dimensions back to the engine, which could then take advantage of it.
Would it not be enough with a user option to make ScummVM use a modern (fixed) window size of, say, 2880 x 1800 or just below?

The current Glk engine in ScummVM is great, but a problem is that you neither get a pixel-perfect emulation of the way the games looked on C64, MS-DOS or Atari ST with their original bitmap fonts, nor a modern look with sharp high-resolution text. Instead you're stuck somewhere in between, with low resolution antialiased True Type fonts.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

mac_es wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:00 pm Are there any plans of adding DAAD sub-engine?
Not in the near future. Once I've got issues with the current set of sub-engines resolved, there's still several other sub-engines to be worked on, particularly TADS and Infocom graphical version 6 games. But before then I plan to take a break from Glk to do work on the Legend Entertainment games.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Lillesvamp wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 pm Would it not be enough with a user option to make ScummVM use a modern (fixed) window size of, say, 2880 x 1800 or just below?
It is actually possible to set the width and height for the game window for Glk in the configuration settings for a game. Along with other settings such as font sizes and colors. Though I'm actually right in the middle of making improvements to the configuration handling.. some of the sub-engines, such as the new Comprehend one, need different default colors, so were completely overwriting the game settings. At the same time, I'll be adding code in so that after the first time you run a game, all the possible configuration items will be written to scummvm.ini, so it'll make it easier for users to see what options are available when they want to change something.

Unfortunately, such manual changes are currently the only way to change things. Even though the ScummVM Launcher allows for games to have their own custom "Engines" tab with game-specific settings, it's not sophisticated enough yet to allow for all the various edit controls that would be needed to allow users to select all the various colors and settings. So for now, such things will have to be a manual process.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

No luck detecting any of my magnetic scrolls games.

edit: I take that back. The Pawn did detect and load. It then states it is unable to open graphics file.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

scoriae wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 am edit: I take that back. The Pawn did detect and load. It then states it is unable to open graphics file.
I haven't tried playing through the Pawn previously, but the graphics filename for the game should be pawn.gfx. Maybe you have a variant version that has a different filename?
GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg »

This is an error message for all magnetic games (corruption,fish,guild,myth,pawn): Unable to open graphics file
For example, Here is the pawn filelist:
- pawn.mag
- pawn.mp3
- pawn.png
- pawn.gfx
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

GoodOldGeorg wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:52 am This is an error message for all magnetic games (corruption,fish,guild,myth,pawn):
Okay, I've been able to replicate the problem now. The underlying cause will require some work to correct, so I'll try to implement a fix within the next few days
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

I've now pushed a fix for the pictures
GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg »

Thanks, Here are some title screens :)
Image-Image-Image-Image-Image-Image
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

dreammaster wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:28 pm
Lillesvamp wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 pm Would it not be enough with a user option to make ScummVM use a modern (fixed) window size of, say, 2880 x 1800 or just below?
It is actually possible to set the width and height for the game window for Glk in the configuration settings for a game. Along with other settings such as font sizes and colors. Though I'm actually right in the middle of making improvements to the configuration handling.. some of the sub-engines, such as the new Comprehend one, need different default colors, so were completely overwriting the game settings. At the same time, I'll be adding code in so that after the first time you run a game, all the possible configuration items will be written to scummvm.ini, so it'll make it easier for users to see what options are available when they want to change something.

Unfortunately, such manual changes are currently the only way to change things. Even though the ScummVM Launcher allows for games to have their own custom "Engines" tab with game-specific settings, it's not sophisticated enough yet to allow for all the various edit controls that would be needed to allow users to select all the various colors and settings. So for now, such things will have to be a manual process.
This will be a little off-topic, sorry for that.

Will the above changes cover only glk games or can/will i be able to use them for other engines as well?

I'm especially interested in the ability to change (and always use the same) screenmode resolution in Wintermute games as it will render this bug item obsolete: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11160

Thank you

and do you need fan game md5sums (from ifarchive.org) or will fan games be added with a general name/entry?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 am Will the above changes cover only glk games or can/will i be able to use them for other engines as well?
It's only for the glk engine currently. Most other games are hardcoded to a particular resolution due to their game assets. Added something similar to Wintermute would require development on the part of it's developers.
Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 am and do you need fan game md5sums (from ifarchive.org) or will fan games be added with a general name/entry?
That'd be helpful, thanks. I haven't lately checked to add in any recent games from the if-archive, so a bug entry with any new detection entries would ensure I don't forgot to add them in.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

dreammaster wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:14 pm
Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 am Will the above changes cover only glk games or can/will i be able to use them for other engines as well?
It's only for the glk engine currently. Most other games are hardcoded to a particular resolution due to their game assets. Added something similar to Wintermute would require development on the part of it's developers.
Thank you.
I don't know how wme does it, but if it is meant to open the correct screen for a game than that doesn't seem to work.

Will try to gather more information for the bug item.
Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 am
and do you need fan game md5sums (from ifarchive.org) or will fan games be added with a general name/entry?
That'd be helpful, thanks. I haven't lately checked to add in any recent games from the if-archive, so a bug entry with any new detection entries would ensure I don't forgot to add them in.
I have written a local script that pulls every supported game and demo from ifarchive.org...
I hope you are ready for a lot of tracker items then :-)

I can start after the 17th of August, if that is ok?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:58 pm I have written a local script that pulls every supported game and demo from ifarchive.org...
I hope you are ready for a lot of tracker items then :-)

I can start after the 17th of August, if that is ok?
Sure, whenever. Though it'll be better to keep the tracker items to a minimum consolidated list, to avoid notification spam.