You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

Post by Raziel »

dreammaster wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 pm
Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:58 pm I have written a local script that pulls every supported game and demo from ifarchive.org...
I hope you are ready for a lot of tracker items then :-)

I can start after the 17th of August, if that is ok?
Sure, whenever. Though it'll be better to keep the tracker items to a minimum consolidated list, to avoid notification spam.
I can add a list with all unknown games/demos and only add items by engine (adrift, agt, hugo etc.).
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:27 pm I can add a list with all unknown games/demos and only add items by engine (adrift, agt, hugo etc.).
Sounds good :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

dreammaster wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:17 am
Raziel wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:27 pm I can add a list with all unknown games/demos and only add items by engine (adrift, agt, hugo etc.).
Sounds good :)
Will do.

One last question:
I get wrong colours on nearly every game on my BE machine. Is this a known issue?
e.g. all graphics (like the pillars that borders the text) in zork zero are wrong, also the main title etc.
eotws

Post by eotws »

So does this mean that the Cabal has nearly finished its goals?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:32 am One last question:
I get wrong colours on nearly every game on my BE machine. Is this a known issue?
e.g. all graphics (like the pillars that borders the text) in zork zero are wrong, also the main title etc.
The current Glk Frotz code is pretty much a lost cause for playing v6 games. When I have time, I'll see about updating the new Frotz release that more cleanly properly implements graphics in. Hopefully that won't have any BE issues.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

eotws wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:10 pm So does this mean that the Cabal has nearly finished its goals?
It's getting closer :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@dreammaster

An enjoyable anmount of games are already recognized, kudos for that :-)

I have two more questions:
1) Will ScummVM be able to reach into .zip archives or do i need to unzip all of them first?
2) TAG is an early prototype to ADRIFT, are (will) they (be) supported? . suffix is .TAG
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Could the detection entry for tcomremake be updated to "The Colour of Magic remake" as it's written in British English.

Also does the graphic version of tcomremake need to be added to the unstable list of games like the rest of the version 6 z-code games, or is that not needed because it doesn't have mg1 resources? (the graphics are png files).

It will be interesting to see which graphics scummvm uses as I wrote it to use 640x200 images if the resolution is big enough else it defaults to 320x100. But it was a while ago I did that I remember there were issues as I don't think there is a standard way z-code interpreters report resolution.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 pm 1) Will ScummVM be able to reach into .zip archives or do i need to unzip all of them first?
You'll need to unzip them first. ScummVM doesn't support running games directly from zip files.
Raziel wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 pm 2) TAG is an early prototype to ADRIFT, are (will) they (be) supported? . suffix is .TAG
If the current Adrift interpreter doesn't support them, then if there's another interpreter for them on the if-archive, it's certainly feasible. For example, at some point in the near future I want to look into adding ADRIFT 5 support. If I remember correctly the source code is available for the runtime interpreter, but is currently only available in Visual Basic. So it would require some work to port it to C++ and hook it up to the Glk API. Sorry, going off on a bit of a tangent.. :)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

ezekiel000 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:01 am Could the detection entry for tcomremake be updated to "The Colour of Magic remake" as it's written in British English.
No problem. I'll take care of it tongiht.
ezekiel000 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:01 am Also does the graphic version of tcomremake need to be added to the unstable list of games like the rest of the version 6 z-code games, or is that not needed because it doesn't have mg1 resources? (the graphics are png files).
It will need to be for now yes. The current issues are with how the zcode windowing is done and graphics in general. Honestly, I spent months doing hack after hack just to get it to display Zork Zero okay, and then it turned out the other games would need even more. Since the new version of Frotz has graphics display integrated, my current plan is to look into porting that new version to Glk from scratch, and only have the Glk windowing features turn themselves on for non-graphical games. The graphical games will simply render to a full screen "window" as if it were the SDL surface the Frotz code expects. But this will be done some time after the next ScummVM release. Likely after I've finished work on Comprehend, and maybe take some time off to work on Shannara. Plus I still want to experiment with AGS at some point too.
ezekiel000 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:01 am It will be interesting to see which graphics scummvm uses as I wrote it to use 640x200 images if the resolution is big enough else it defaults to 320x100. But it was a while ago I did that I remember there were issues as I don't think there is a standard way z-code interpreters report resolution.
The default resolution I have for Glk is 640x480. Though I'd hardcoded the v6 games to open in a 320x200 so as to be what the original DOS versions expected. If the game supports multiple different resolutions, it could always be treated as a special case in the future and have the higher resolution.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@dreammaster

Thanks a lot.
I keep adding unknown games.

Maybe adrift can handle .tag games, well see.
The game itself has only the interpreter .executable in its package, so not worth the hassle.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@dreammaster
Plus I still want to experiment with AGS at some point too
Excited!!! :-)
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

It seems several of my magnetic scrolls games have files that don't match the format. Only "The pawn" seems to work for me.

Using Jinxter as an example, I have:
DISK1.PIX
DISK2.PIX
DOJINX.EXE
JINX0
JINX1
JINX2
JINX3
JINX4
JINX5
JINX6
JINXTER.BAT
README.1ST

My readme states: dojinx options:

dojinx text only version with 80 columns
dojinx /4 text only version with 40 columns
dojinx /g graphics version with mouse
dojinx /g /n graphics version without mouse

Edit the jinxter.bat file to change.

Now, I know there were later releases of these games that were like, compilations of all magnetic scrolls games. So maybe the file format changed at some point?

Guld of Thieves and Fish! have the same file setup, just with slightly different names
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

scoriae wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:13 pm It seems several of my magnetic scrolls games have files that don't match the format. Only "The pawn" seems to work for me.
I'll try and have a look at it tomorrow. I think the current Glk detection code wrapper I added around the original interpreter code may be at fault, and not passing legitimate game files on for testing
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

thank you