*UPDATES!* ESRGAN AI Upscaling (HiRes packs now possible!)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tomimt

Re: ESRGAN: AI Neural Net Upscaling (For HiRes Packs?)

Post by tomimt »

It looks like this is coming along nicely. I'm starting to have ideas.
Mim

Post by Mim »

tomimt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:14 am It looks like this is coming along nicely.
Yes, it seems that we are close to having SCI support. :) I wonder how difficult will be to implement this for other engines. I've recently tried to play The Curse of Monkey Island on a large screen TV and it did not look too good. So I fiddled with xBRZ, ReShade and still was not satisfied. Then I searched the net if there is a remastered version coming and sadly nothing is announced, so this is my only hope.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

So far, Views, Pictures, Priorities, and now Fonts are replaceable with alpha transparency (Priority backgrounds have only 1-bit alpha transparency). About the only thing left is Cursors for SCI0 and SCI1 (SCI11 uses Views for cursors). :) Myles has been killing it!
Mim

Post by Mim »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:18 pm:) Myles has been killing it!
Nice. :D BTW: There are many people currently on these forums and the most users ever online were soon after this project was announced. It could be taken sort of as a poll about demand for this feature. :wink:
MusicallyInspired

That's what I started this thread for so mission accomplished I suppose! :D
dariwonka

Post by dariwonka »

Brilliant work! Shame i dont like sierra games

Could it be done with Lucas arts games? MI, indiana jones, mm...
MusicallyInspired

So far only the SCI engine (and not even all SCI games) are supported. I could see this expanding though down the road.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

dariwonka wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:57 pm Brilliant work! Shame i dont like sierra games
:shock: :|
Mim

Post by Mim »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:19 pm So far only the SCI engine (and not even all SCI games) are supported. I could see this expanding though down the road.
Yes, the description of the project on github states "engines" so there will be probably more than one added. I hope that one day, maybe with help from some other developers (hint, hint :wink: ), most engines will be supported. I remember how ScummVM project started just for Monkey Island 2. :)
tomimt

Post by tomimt »

Here's a little test I did with Colonel's Bequest, upscaled to 1280x760.
https://youtu.be/AujABWC3E5E

Now, I don't know if it is ScummVMX, the SCI0, that way ESRGAN does upscale or the fact that CB has over 6000 views, but it does get a bit laggy at some points. I actually had to remove quite a few of upscaled view frames just to keep it stable enough to do this video.
Mim

Post by Mim »

I think that the best results will be probably achieved with VGA and SVGA games, it would be interesting to see for example upscaled Torin's Passage or King's Quest VII.
tomimt

Post by tomimt »

Yeah, you can't really apply an AI upscale, at least not yet anyway, on the 16 colour EGA graphics and expect some amazing end result like what happens with VGA art as SQ4 has. Perhaps the best possible result would be if you have a model that would turn the lineart and the colours smoother, but the model I used wasn't the right tool for that.

I was just more interested in giving the new build a test to see how easy it is to use. And it is easy to use. Theoretically, this could make fan-made remakes easier, as they can now focus on art with no need of re-creating the game logic as well. It's still a lot of work, but the possibility will be there.
tomimt

Post by tomimt »

Here's a small Dagger of Amon Ra test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgsvFsT ... =TheTomimt

Sadly enough, it seems using high-resolution art on Dagger of Amon Ra is still pretty unstable, so I can't really show more than one screen.
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

I guess its possible to add the night screens to King's Quest IV which were removed from later versions. The link below has an explanation of what I mean and you can see for yourself with the comparison screenshots.

http://sciwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php ... of_Rosella

Another thing I would like to add to the wish bucket is the amiga environmental sounds for the dos version. One guy has already gotten this working with a fan patch so technically it could be done.

version 1.000.111 Night Pool Screen

version 1.006.004 Night Pool Screen
tomimt

Post by tomimt »

It just accord to me, has anyone toyed around with AI sound cleaning? In most of the Sierra games, the voice audio is extremely compressed, so it would be interesting if at least some of the compressions hisses, crackles and pops could be cleaned out.