Russian translation - The Secret of the Monkey Island CD

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
Serj94
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 am

Russian translation - The Secret of the Monkey Island CD

Post by Serj94 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:48 am

Hello. I'm trying to translate the classic version of "The Secret of the Monkey Island" into Russian. I'm sort of new in the translation SCUMM games (before I translated games on Android and PC).
On the Internet, I found the right tools to translate SCUMM games (scummtr - to export and import translated text; scummrp - to extract and pack game resources; scummfont - to export fonts to BMP format and import back).

I can extract the text, fonts and pack back, but after redrawing the BMP font in photoshop, the text either does not appear or black squares are displayed instead of the text.

After redrawing the font - I save .bmp file with the following settings: 1) File format "Windows"; 2) Depth "8 bit".

This screenshot shows how the text is displayed after editing the font:
Image

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 am

The special edition was already translated by PRCA (http://www.questomania.ru/prca/) and ENVY studio. You may get the patch here: http://enpy.net/forum/index.php?app=dow ... howfile=68

If you want to incorporate this translation (or improve it) to the classic version, then it's best to connect with PRCA, as they have all the tools and experience. Currently, they are working on MI2.


Eugene

Serj94
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 am

Post by Serj94 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 am

sev wrote:The special edition was already translated by PRCA (http://www.questomania.ru/prca/) and ENVY studio. You may get the patch here: http://enpy.net/forum/index.php?app=dow ... howfile=68

If you want to incorporate this translation (or improve it) to the classic version, then it's best to connect with PRCA, as they have all the tools and experience. Currently, they are working on MI2.

Eugene
Yes, but PRCA has translated a special edition of the game, and I want to make my translation of the classic version. In the classic version of the game everything is arranged like a little differently (or am I wrong?). In addition to Russian, I would like to make a translation of the game into Ukrainian.

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 am

Just let me quote myself:
sev wrote: If you want to incorporate this translation (or improve it) to the classic version, then it's best to connect with PRCA, as they have all the tools and experience. Currently, they are working on MI2.
1. Text has been already translated (the hardest part), take it from there
2. PRCA has tools for inserting translations into classic SCUMM games.


Eugene

Serj94
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 am

Post by Serj94 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 am

sev wrote:Just let me quote myself:
sev wrote: If you want to incorporate this translation (or improve it) to the classic version, then it's best to connect with PRCA, as they have all the tools and experience. Currently, they are working on MI2.
1. Text has been already translated (the hardest part), take it from there
2. PRCA has tools for inserting translations into classic SCUMM games.


Eugene
Well, I'll try to contact PRCA, but if you or someone else who will read this topic knows how to solve this problem with the translation of fonts - please write how to solve this problem (the text either does not appear or black squares are displayed instead of the text).

Praetorian
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 am

Post by Praetorian » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Serj94 wrote: Well, I'll try to contact PRCA, but if you or someone else who will read this topic knows how to solve this problem with the translation of fonts - please write how to solve this problem (the text either does not appear or black squares are displayed instead of the text).
My advice would be to try to break this in smaller steps and "debug" it to find where your problem lies.

So:
1) Just export the English text, change only one line (one of the first that appear in-game -- which is not actually the first one in the text file) and then re-import it in the game. The file should be with ANSI encoding, using the character set of your native language. Check what happens. (At this point you still haven't changed the font files).
-- Do you still see black boxes?
-- Do the rest of the english lines show up ok?
-- What are the switches you are using for your export and import commands?
-- Did you change *anything* else in the exported text file? You should not add or delete any lines, and it's recommended to keep the special character sequences (eg '@', '%'s etc) and use the escaped sequences (eg \255\00x) as appropriate (but try not to change much there either).
2) Export the fonts in BMPs (There are more than one -- you are basically interested on the main subtitles font for starters, which I don't remember which it was off-hand). Work directly on those BMPs files and just save your changes without changing anything on format or color depth etc. Keep the background coloring scheme (it alternates between consecutive character glyphs) and place your new character glyphs at the appropriate positions according to your particular ascii table of your chosen character set. Try adding only one or two characters at first. Then re-import (and replace the original files --- keep backups always!) and check if anything has changed with your imported subtitles.

Serj94
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 am

Post by Serj94 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Praetorian wrote:
Serj94 wrote: Well, I'll try to contact PRCA, but if you or someone else who will read this topic knows how to solve this problem with the translation of fonts - please write how to solve this problem (the text either does not appear or black squares are displayed instead of the text).
My advice would be to try to break this in smaller steps and "debug" it to find where your problem lies.

So:
1) Just export the English text, change only one line (one of the first that appear in-game -- which is not actually the first one in the text file) and then re-import it in the game. The file should be with ANSI encoding, using the character set of your native language. Check what happens. (At this point you still haven't changed the font files).
-- Do you still see black boxes?
-- Do the rest of the english lines show up ok?
-- What are the switches you are using for your export and import commands?
-- Did you change *anything* else in the exported text file? You should not add or delete any lines, and it's recommended to keep the special character sequences (eg '@', '%'s etc) and use the escaped sequences (eg \255\00x) as appropriate (but try not to change much there either).
2) Export the fonts in BMPs (There are more than one -- you are basically interested on the main subtitles font for starters, which I don't remember which it was off-hand). Work directly on those BMPs files and just save your changes without changing anything on format or color depth etc. Keep the background coloring scheme (it alternates between consecutive character glyphs) and place your new character glyphs at the appropriate positions according to your particular ascii table of your chosen character set. Try adding only one or two characters at first. Then re-import (and replace the original files --- keep backups always!) and check if anything has changed with your imported subtitles.
That's what I already tried: 1) tried to translate just one line of text without editing the font - the text is displayed, but not correctly (because the fonts made for Latin, not Cyrillic); 2) tried to edit one letter of a font (in font I changed
English letter F into Russian letter Г). Also tried to change the encoding of the text file (tried the encoding OEM-866, UTF-8, ANSI) - as a result, nothing has changed, still instead of the text visible black squares.

Praetorian
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 am

Post by Praetorian » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Serj94, I think the text file encoding that should work for you would be Windows-1251.

You can send me your modified text file and your modified font bmp and I could check if I can spot where your issue lies.

Alternatively, I could send you the respective sample files from my work on the Greek translation so that you can compare them with yours. This might take a while, because I'll have to search my backups.

Serj94
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 am

Post by Serj94 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:58 am

Praetorian wrote:Serj94, I think the text file encoding that should work for you would be Windows-1251.

You can send me your modified text file and your modified font bmp and I could check if I can spot where your issue lies.

Alternatively, I could send you the respective sample files from my work on the Greek translation so that you can compare them with yours. This might take a while, because I'll have to search my backups.
Thank you very much for your help. :D :idea:
Finally, I have the translated font displayed correctly. Don't even know what was the reason of this problem, but most likely I'm just not correctly exported game resources through the program scummrp.exe.
Image

Post Reply