Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games

Post by Bluddy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 pm

This page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... uter_games is a pretty good resource, both for ScummVM and Dosbox. If the game is in the table, it supports the mt-32. If the last column says something like 'General Midi' or 'Roland SC-55', the music was composed for general midi. There are some games on that list that still sound better on General Midi though, like Day of the Tentacle and possibly Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but on the whole, the list is accurate.

cwadge

Post by cwadge » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Bluddy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 pm
This page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... uter_games is a pretty good resource, both for ScummVM and Dosbox. If the game is in the table, it supports the mt-32. If the last column says something like 'General Midi' or 'Roland SC-55', the music was composed for general midi. There are some games on that list that still sound better on General Midi though, like Day of the Tentacle and possibly Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but on the whole, the list is accurate.
Yep, many of those games were composed for FM (AdLib, Sound Blaster, etc.), MT-32, and GM simultaneously, so they actually contain 2 or 3 versions of the same soundtrack. Others even have a soundtrack specifically arranged for the SC-55 (e.g. Tie Fighter) that only really sounds correct on period-specific hardware, not even later models like the SC-88. It's kind of a mess to sort out for the uninitiated.

I should really create a table of what games sound best with what synthesis method and add it to https://fatboy.site/ ... when I come across some of that mythical free time I keep hearing about. :P Probably over the winter holidays.

scarmona

Post by scarmona » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 pm

cwadge wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm
  • Leisure Suit Larry 4 - 6
YOU FOUND Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies?????
WHERE? post some screen shots please!!!

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

cwadge

Post by cwadge » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:19 pm

scarmona wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 pm
cwadge wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm
  • Leisure Suit Larry 4 - 6
YOU FOUND Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies?????
WHERE? post some screen shots please!!!

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist...
HOLY SHIT SOMEBODY GOT MY JOKE
/dead