This girl needs help with Nintendo 64!!!!

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

riotcosplaygrrl

This girl needs help with Nintendo 64!!!!

Post by riotcosplaygrrl »

So I REALLY am trying to get some of my favourite SCUMM games on the Nintendo 64 SCUMMvm and they are NOT working for me!

I'm really not much of a coder or patcher?

Can anyone PLEASE help me with the following games:

- The Secret of Monkey Island
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Day of the Tentacle
- Full Throttle
- The Curse of Monkey Island
- Beneath a Steel Sky
- I have no mouth and I must scream
- Discworld

Any help with these for a sister?

I tried reading the N64 read me and I am SO confused??

:(
riotcosplaygrrl

anyone? I'm really stuck!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Have you read the Wiki pages on this?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Nintendo_64
riotcosplaygrrl

Yes i've read the wiki so many times but Im not that good at syntax like stuff
:(

I wish I was better at this stuff!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Well, the only way to get better is to try it.

Firstly, do you have the required hardware listed?:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Ninte ... quirements

The critical item there is a "Flashcart". If not, then you will need one to do this.

Apart from that, you should get a Linux VM setup or just use MSYS / Cygwin to run the commands listed in order. You will need to vary these slightly based on the game and the image you are creating, but this should be possible to work out.

If you can't understand the commands, try Googling or using Youtube to find a basic Linux command line tutorial on how these kind of commands work.
riotcosplaygrrl

Can this be used with an Everdrive 64 v3?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Not with SD2SNES as that is designed for SNES, not N64.

The Everdrive 64 v3 looks like it _should_ work, but the instructions only mention Myth N64 or DoctorV64, so your mileage may vary.

I have no direct experience of running this so am only talking in theory.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

If The Curse of Monkey Island doesn't work well on the Dreamcast version of ScummVM, I wouldn't expect that it's going to work at all on the Nintendo 64 version.

Full Throttle works but is not completable on the Dreamcast version, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Both Dreamcast and N64 are quite RAM memory limited platforms i.e. 16MB for Dreamcast and only 4MB for N64:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64

The other games _should_ work, but it is unlikely that any "high resolution" i.e. more than 320x200 games will work.
riotcosplaygrrl

Yeah I meant the everdrive 64 v3 not the SD2SNES I got retro games on the brain haha!

Yes I was hoping to get at least a few
Of the games to work. I've seem
Demos of monkey island and beneath a steel sky work for the N64 port of scummvm. I understand if full throttle and some of the others are too memory intensive.

What other scummvm games do you think the n64 could handle???
riotcosplaygrrl

Anyone one want to go this girl a post-christmas gift and pre-patch some SCUMMVM games for the N64?
supercommando89

Post by supercommando89 »

Its been awhile since I used the N64 port, it is a confusing port but some games will work, everdrive 64 v3 is the best cart for using ScummVM in my opinion. Be aware that there are some severe limitations to the N64 version:

The latest version for N64 I think is 1.6, so only the games supported by 1.6 or earlier will work.
Second, the game HAS to be able to fit onto a ROM image 64 megabytes or LESS, otherwise the N64 will not be able to load the ROM. This unfortunately rules out larger titles like COMI or Full throttle. Not that they would run anyway I think since the N64 has at most 8MB of RAM. Oh, also you have to have the expansion pack installed.
Lastly, saving the game is finicky on N64, it works the best on the everdrive but sometimes saves will disappear, especially if you load other ROMs before finishing your Scumm game, I find it easier just to play through the game in one sitting honestly.

tl;dr is that if you have a scumm game that is supported by ScummVM 1.6 and can be smaller then 64MB it will run on the N64. And the N64 is certainly a hobby port to use.

There are some tuts I can dig up for you if you want to pack them yourself, but its difficult to do on a windows computer, it will be easier if you have access to a linux distro or Mac OS. Alternatively I have some I already packed if you want them, I think monkey island 1 and 2, BASS, and, through the miracle of compression a talkie version of Fate of Atlantis. Let me know and I'll find the HD they're stored on
SoyAntonio

Re: This girl needs help with Nintendo 64!!!!

Post by SoyAntonio »

Did anyone manage to get ScummVM to work with N64? What games and how?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: This girl needs help with Nintendo 64!!!!

Post by digitall »