Fullscreen Mac Problem, Can't seem to find answer

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rico121

Fullscreen Mac Problem, Can't seem to find answer

Post by Rico121 »

Hi All,

Sorry to be a pain but I have trawled through all the similar posts but none seems to have had this issue.

I chose to have the display in fullscreen, at which point the program froze. I then force quit and reloaded, it crashed instantly. Even after deleting and reinstalling, restarting and everything else I could think of the problem persisted.

I then looked for the .plist file, this didn't help either as the file did not exist in library/preferences

I am at a loose end and wish I had just tried to play space quest in the small window. Please help...
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The file you are looking for (to edit/remove) is named 'ScummVM Preferences' and is in your user Library/Preferences/.
Rico121

Post by Rico121 »

See this is the answer that seems to be posted all over but I can't seem to locate this file, I have searched and searched and researched. It doesn't seem to exist anywhere, would you have any advice on where I go from here please? I consider myself computer literate so it can be in depth.

Cheers,
Rico
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Rico121 wrote:I consider myself computer literate so it can be in depth.

Code: Select all

open ~/Library/Preferences/ScummVM\ Preferences
Rico121

Post by Rico121 »

I really appreciate the answers guys, but I'm not lying when I say this directory does not exist. Could there be another way of finding it, solving this or something. It's driving me insane.

Is it worth a shot trying to create this directory and file myself?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't have a Mac myself (well, none capable of running ScummVM anyway), but if you can start ScummVM from a command prompt you should be able to force it into windowed mode with the --no-fullscreen command-line option.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Rico121 wrote:this directory does not exist
Do you mean that ~/Library/Preferences/ does not exist? It is hidden by default but I find it difficult to believe it does not exist. If you meant Scummvm Preferences does not exists, this is a file and not a directory.

So using the command from clone2727 in Terminal.App should work. Otherwise the suggestion from eriktorbjorn should indeed work..
Rico121

Post by Rico121 »

Ok now I am feeling out of my depth.

So I looked around and found the command prompt to unhide all folders and files and still no Directory within preferences for Scummvm, I did this prior to my first post.

I would love to know more about both the last posts:
force it into windowed mode with the --no-fullscreen command-line option
and
So using the command from clone2727 in Terminal.App should work
I am really at a loose end here.

Thanks for all your help.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Here are three methods that you can try.

Method 1: Open the hidden Preferences directory and look for the ScummVM Preferences file

In the Go menu select Go to Folder...
Type "~/Library/Preferences" (without the quotes) and press Go
This will open a Finder window in which you can look for a file named "ScummVM Preferences" (without the quotes).

Method 2: Open the Preferences file in a text editor from the command prompt

Open the Terminal application (it should be in Applications > Utilities on your disk).
Type "open ~/Library/Preferences/ScummVM\ Preferences" (without the quotes)
Press Enter

If the file exists this should open it in a text editor.

With these first two methods, if you found the preferences file, look for fullscreen in it and set it to false.

Method 3: Start ScummVM from the command prompt

Open the Terminal application.
Drag and drop the ScummVM application on the command prompt.
Delete the space at the end and append "/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --no-fullscreen" (without the quotes)
At this points the command line should be similar to (the path may be different): /Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --no-fullscreen
Press Enter
This should start ScummVM in windowed mode. Go to Options and toggle off fullscreen so that next time it will also open in windowed mode without the need to use the command prompt.
Rico121

Post by Rico121 »

AMAZING, thank you. The last one worked. This is such great news thank you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :) :) :) :wink: