The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

Hi all,

I just completed the game while making sure, that I do not miss any cutscene (played until scummVM reports an error about a missing file, then copied it) :D
All of my 224 videos (leaving out disk*) played perfectly except one: gasout2
Somehow it should be possible to kill yourself by releasing the gas into the wrong area, but I was not able to figure out how. Any hints?

Two videos (breakdown and virtua) had graphical errors in the upper area of the screen, but this is either an error of the RAD tool or a wine issue because the resulting png's have the graphical errors, too. Did anyone have had the same problems? (Playing the original smk files is fine.)

Then there were mentioned nine additional videos FMain and Mix_Snip* earlier in this thread which are not available on my 4-CD's of the german PC Version. Where are they from?

Thanks for the help and keep up the great work! *thumbsup* I hope there will not be any problems with playing smacker in mplayer so scummvm can hopefully include the code sometime.

Joe King
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JoeKing wrote:Two videos (breakdown and virtua) had graphical errors in the upper area of the screen, but this is either an error of the RAD tool or a wine issue because the resulting png's have the graphical errors, too. Did anyone have had the same problems? (Playing the original smk files is fine.)
I have the English 2 CD version, and I ran the RAD tools under Wine. I only noticed graphics glitches with one of the cutscenes: the "fasall" one, which is shown during the intro when Feeble's space ship speeds away from the Eearth.
dsnapiri

thanks a lot!

Post by dsnapiri »

oduverne, thanks for explaining me that.
your script didn't work for me though(and i'm not stupid... i changed the dirs).
Even with this setback I looked for other scripts and finnaly got one that i think that works(in the proccess right now...)

so thanks everybody!

Doron Snapiri
Amayirot Akago

Post by Amayirot Akago »

I had obtained Feeble Files many months ago and found, to my horror, it would not run on my XP system, but thanks to ScummVM the game finally runs perfectly; though I must add it was a HELL of a lot of work to convert all those damn movie files.

Ah well. The end result was well worth it. Thanks again!
whatever

Post by whatever »

JoeKing wrote:Two videos (breakdown and virtua) had graphical errors in the upper area of the screen, but this is either an error of the RAD tool or a wine issue because the resulting png's have the graphical errors, too. Did anyone have had the same problems? (Playing the original smk files is fine.)
same problem here with the german 4 CD version.

i noticed the latest mplayer version can play smk videos quite well. audio is messed up sometimes, but video looks fine. is it possible to use mplayer for the smk to dxa conversion?

edit:
this is what the error looks like when decoded with RAD tools

same frame decoded with mplayer using -vo png -aspect 4:3 -sws 4
the scanline effect is missing with mplayer, but i think it looks better this way...
unfortunately the png output by mplayer is 24bit, so encode_dxa cannot use it directly.
JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

whatever wrote:edit:
this is what the error looks like when decoded with RAD tools

same frame decoded with mplayer using -vo png -aspect 4:3 -sws 4
the scanline effect is missing with mplayer, but i think it looks better this way...
unfortunately the png output by mplayer is 24bit, so encode_dxa cannot use it directly.
That is the error I had, too.

But it seems to be a wine issue, because I re-encoded the two videos in Win2k and everything is fine now.

Can nobody tell me something about FMain and Mix_Snip* and how to kill Feeble with gas in the end of the game?

Joe
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

JoeKing wrote:Can nobody tell me something about FMain and Mix_Snip* and how to kill Feeble with gas in the end of the game?
FMain and Mix_Snip* are just extra videos of the Pilot & Docking Controller arguing.
JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

Kirben wrote:
JoeKing wrote:Can nobody tell me something about FMain and Mix_Snip* and how to kill Feeble with gas in the end of the game?
FMain and Mix_Snip* are just extra videos of the Pilot & Docking Controller arguing.
Ok, I suppose they are included only in the english version of the game... :?
whatever

Post by whatever »

JoeKing wrote:But it seems to be a wine issue, because I re-encoded the two videos in Win2k and everything is fine now.
thx for the tip, it really seems to work without the error in win2k.
however, it is still a very strange wine problem...

btw: is there a standalone .dxa player? i'd like to re-check if all videos are ok now without playing the whole game again.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

whatever wrote:btw: is there a standalone .dxa player? i'd like to re-check if all videos are ok now without playing the whole game again.
A separate DXA player (Video only) can be found at https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... p_id=37116
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

it was a long time ago, i was here in the forum. is there a new methode to make from smacker the dxa files? i read that the compression would be better.

is that true?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:it was a long time ago, i was here in the forum. is there a new methode to make from smacker the dxa files? i read that the compression would be better.

is that true?
The SVN version of the DXA encoder adds an alternative compression method which results in smaller files. (The encoder tries a couple of different compression methods for each frame, and picks the one that produces the smallest result.)

However, because of the new compression you also need the SVN version of ScummVM to play these smaller movies. 0.9.x won't know what to do with them.
Roarke

Post by Roarke »

Hi, this is the first time that I write in this forum. My English isn't very good, so excuse me. Well, I have a little question...

I have a 4CD Spanish version of The Feeble Files that contains 220 videos, and I friend says to me that I need 4 more videos: "charisma", "nextdoor", "omnitoy" and "qtime". Is that true or my game set are correct?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Roarke wrote:Hi, this is the first time that I write in this forum. My English isn't very good, so excuse me. Well, I have a little question...

I have a 4CD Spanish version of The Feeble Files that contains 220 videos, and I friend says to me that I need 4 more videos: "charisma", "nextdoor", "omnitoy" and "qtime". Is that true or my game set are correct?
A lot of the Feeble Files data files aren't directly visible on the CDs. Instead, they are stored in an archive that's unpacked when the game is installed. If I remember correctly, that includes the four movies you mention.

This is one of the reasons that Feeble Files is trickier to get to run than most of the other games that ScummVM supports.
Roarke

Post by Roarke »

eriktorbjorn wrote:A lot of the Feeble Files data files aren't directly visible on the CDs. Instead, they are stored in an archive that's unpacked when the game is installed. If I remember correctly, that includes the four movies you mention.

This is one of the reasons that Feeble Files is trickier to get to run than most of the other games that ScummVM supports.
Thanks you! I am totally idiot, I remember that I got many files from the installation folder but I didn't pay attention to the videos...

I assume that the 4 "disk*" videos aren't needed, correct?