Surface Pro stylus support?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PearlChoco

Surface Pro stylus support?

Post by PearlChoco »

I'm considering buying a new tablet, but I'm still not decided which one. ScummVM compatibility might be the deciding factor.
Does scummvm support the MS Surface Pro 2 stylus? I know the samsung S-pen can be used as a mouse, but i haven't read anything about the Surface.

Thanks!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hmm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface_Pro_2

It is apparently a x86_64 tablet which runs Windows 8. The stylus appears to be a Wacom device, so probably can emulate a mouse in the drivers.

Thus it should run the Win32 builds of ScummVM fine. However, please note the caveats here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Windows

The main issue I can see is that partly due to libSDL v1.2 mouse behaviour with absolute postioning devices, you could see some odd behaviour in full screen mode.

*shrug* I can only suggest that you try to borrow one in a showroom and try ScummVM on it with a few of the freeware games before you purchase one to see how it behaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor applies! :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

It kind of kills the effect of a saying when you link it to wikipedia.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I generally do that here when I am not sure whether the user is a native English speaker and I want to use an idiomatic expression.

If they are familar with it, then have the option of avoiding the wikipedia link.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Or they could just Google it themselves.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Collector: True... but you would be surprised how few do.

Ditto for various questions here that could have been answered if users had read the README, read the other documentation and/or searched the Wiki and Forums before they asked, even if this is Rule #1 of the forum.

This can be partly forgiven as new users will tend to ask questions which are "obvious" to developers or long time users, or due to language/cultural differences, but it would be nice if users did try to do some level of self-support first.
PearlChoco

Post by PearlChoco »

digitall wrote:Hmm:

It is apparently a x86_64 tablet which runs Windows 8. The stylus appears to be a Wacom device, so probably can emulate a mouse in the drivers.

Thus it should run the Win32 builds of ScummVM fine. However, please note the caveats here:

The main issue I can see is that partly due to libSDL v1.2 mouse behaviour with absolute postioning devices, you could see some odd behaviour in full screen mode.

*shrug* I can only suggest that you try to borrow one in a showroom and try ScummVM on it with a few of the freeware games before you purchase one to see how it behaves.
So it's not really a good option. Which is weird since it works flawlessly on android (Samsung S-Pen works like a mouse).
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Different backend code. Android does not use libSDL.

As I said, if you are worried about this, try before you buy.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

I realise I am digging up an old thread but just to close this one out.

The pen on the Surface Pro (2) works just fine in ScummVM and I would expect the pen from the Pro 3 will also work just fine.

I use mine for messing with ScummVM and also for some ScummVM development.

The device has a fairly common setup of a capacitive touch layer and a digitizer layer, when you move the pen to the screen the capacitive layer is switched off and you just have stylus style input with tap for left and pen button for right.

ScummVM is very happy with this setup for most things.

I do use the OpenGL renderer on my setup (there maybe funnies with fullscreen on the non OpenGL renderers, I'll check)
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

DJWillis: Thanks for the update!