loom cd version sound problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

blackmamba

loom cd version sound problems

Post by blackmamba »

yes i've searched and read the old threads. but just saying "rip the sound from the cd and call it track1 track2 track3" doesn't explain to me very well what to do. can someone be so kind as to do more of a step by step process for those of us who haven't done this sort of thing before?
clem

Re: loom cd version sound problems

Post by clem »

blackmamba wrote:yes i've searched and read the old threads. but just saying "rip the sound from the cd and call it track1 track2 track3" doesn't explain to me very well what to do. can someone be so kind as to do more of a step by step process for those of us who haven't done this sort of thing before?
a good tool to get mp3 files out of your CD audio is http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos

basically you install it, put the CD into your CD drive, start CDex, click on "convert" -> "extract to compressed audio file", then figure out where it put the files (usually some subfolder into "my documents") and rename them so the first file is called track1.mp3, and so on, and put them into the game directory

hope that helps
clem
blackmamba

Post by blackmamba »

there are only 2 tracks it picks up:
DataTrack 01
AudioTrack 02

i extracted the audio tract and it just made 1 huge file. so i just rename this one file track1 and copy it into my loom folder?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

yes that should work
blackmamba

Post by blackmamba »

still doesn't work T_T

do i need to change the scummvm settings?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

blackmamba wrote:still doesn't work T_T

do i need to change the scummvm settings?
You shouldn't have to. Support for compressed audio is optional, but if you are running ScummVM on any of the major platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux, ... - that shouldn't be an issue. You can verify that by looking at the ScummVM "About" dialog, though: At the top, there should be a string like "Supports: Vorbis FLAC MP3 zLib MPEG2".

Loom has only one audio track, albeit a long one. When asked to play a part of it, this happens:
  • If ScummVM has already played a compressed version of the track at least once before, it already has a reference to it which it can re-use.
  • If ScummVM is compiled with support for FLAC, it will look for a file named track1.flac or track1.fla and, if found, use that.
  • If ScummVM is compiled with support for Ogg Vorbis, it will look for a file named track1.ogg and, if found, use that.
  • If ScummVM is compiled with support for MP3, it will look for a file named track1.mp3 and, if found, use that.
  • If all else fails, ScummVM will try to play the track directly from the CD.
So assuming that ScummVM is compiled with the appropriate libraries (which is likely), and the file is correctly named - common misnamings include track01.mp3, track 1.mp3 and track2.mp3 - and the file uses the corresponding compression method, I can't think of any reason for it not to work.

Microsoft Windows is sneaky in that it hides the filename extension by default, if it thinks it knows what kind of file it is. I.e. if the file browser shows a file called track1 yet still knows that it's a sound file, then it may actually be named track1.mp3 and, in that case, a file that shows up as track1.mp3 could really be named track1.mp3.mp3 ... but I don't know if anyone has actually had any problems with that yet.
blackmamba

Post by blackmamba »

yay i finally got it to work. tyvm for the help.