I cannot save in Beneath a Steel Sky

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

amaze122

I cannot save in Beneath a Steel Sky

Post by amaze122 »

The game plays excellently, and it is a joy to relive this old classic (I never really got to finish it, when it first came out, it was so hard). The next game I hope your wonderful software can help me with, is Bureau 13, by Take 2, another great game I never got to finish. But in the meantime, and excuse me for wandering off of the subject so, I cannot get my F5 key to bring up the control console, so that I can save my games. I even took my original disc out of the drive, and used Your copy from the website, instead, and that did not work either. At present, the files in my C:\BASS directory are; readme.txt, sky.cpt, sky.dnr, and sky.dsk. What can possibly be wrong? Hmmnn, do you think renaming the directory to SKY would help? -At my wits end.... :roll:
clem

Re: I cannot save in Beneath a Steel Sky

Post by clem »

amaze122 wrote:The game plays excellently, and it is a joy to relive this old classic (I never really got to finish it, when it first came out, it was so hard). The next game I hope your wonderful software can help me with, is Bureau 13, by Take 2, another great game I never got to finish. But in the meantime, and excuse me for wandering off of the subject so, I cannot get my F5 key to bring up the control console, so that I can save my games. I even took my original disc out of the drive, and used Your copy from the website, instead, and that did not work either. At present, the files in my C:\BASS directory are; readme.txt, sky.cpt, sky.dnr, and sky.dsk. What can possibly be wrong? Hmmnn, do you think renaming the directory to SKY would help? -At my wits end.... :roll:
when the game is already running (ie you are ingame, you can walk around, etc) this means that it should allow you to save (so it's not a problem of missing files or the directory name)

do you have one of those keyboards which have special function keys? I have an "office" button which mucks up the function keys badly if I accidently hit it.

As for Bureau 13, this isn't even being discussed for inclusion, so you won't see that anytime soon in ScummVM - DosBox will get you further here.
amaze122

Post by amaze122 »

I have an Alienware Microsoft Multimedia keyboard. So you think its the keyboard, preventing the game from working properly? Hmmn. I am going to try to find another keyboard somewhere to test that theory. If that is indeed it, I will then buy a little cheap keyboard, just to play my beloved old games on. In fact, I May just have to buy a keyboard, just to test that theory out...
clem

Post by clem »

does F5 work as intended in any other application? In Firefox or IE for example, F5 seems to reload the current page
amaze122

Post by amaze122 »

If you mean reload, as in "refresh", no. When I hit F5 just now, nothing happened.... I have Internet Explorer 6.0.290.
clem

Post by clem »

amaze122 wrote:If you mean reload, as in "refresh", no. When I hit F5 just now, nothing happened.... I have Internet Explorer 6.0.290.
doesn't seem like a ScummVM-specific problem then, do you have some special button to toggle special functions on your keyboard? I have one in the top-left corner of mine

from the Alienware site:

Code: Select all

Enhanced Function keys provide one-key convenience for the most frequently used commands
this looks to me as if you can toggle the "enhancements" somewhere
amaze122

Post by amaze122 »

I dunno, cuz most of the enhancements I don't even use. I just wanted a keyboard with the calculator function accessible on a button on the keyboard, and this was the only one meeting that criteria. I guess I will have to go over to the Alienware site and look around.
amaze122

Post by amaze122 »

Okay so I'm standing in Best Buy at 2pm, in the computer keyboard section, I had visited the Alienware site before I left home, and couldn't find a "durn" thing about the keyboard that I already own, and so I had a choice. (1) Wait and do nothing, and then, after running all my errands, come home, and visit a site that tells me that the keyboard I have is fine, I just need to push some button on it solve my problem I been havin, or (2) I buy another keyboard, just in case the one I have is either defective, or somehow just not responsive to old Dos games, despite my using an emulator program. Naturally, being a Capricorn, I chose safe, and bought the damn keyboard, a $60.00 investment. So I get home after running all my errands, it is about ten o clock pm, (Best Buy closed at 9pm), and the very first Google search I do lands me on the Microsoft website, where I learn that my keyboard has an "F lock" key that indeed enables all the functions of the "F" keys, and so now I have to schedule some time during my busy week to return this keyboard back to Best Buy (trust me, it is Quite a drive). Oh well, the good news is that now my F5 key does open the control panel, and let me save games, thanks for the expert advice....