Sound Delay

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

riksweeney

Sound Delay

Post by riksweeney »

Hi,

I've noticed that the sound is out of sync when I'm playing Day Of The Tentacle. For instance, if I open a door, then the sound happens about half a second (maybe not that much) afterwards. Is this behaviour normal or is there a problem with my system?

Toshiba Laptop 1.7GHz 512MB
Fedora Core 5
SCUMMVM 0.8.2

Thanks

Richard
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sound Delay

Post by eriktorbjorn »

riksweeney wrote:Hi,

I've noticed that the sound is out of sync when I'm playing Day Of The Tentacle. For instance, if I open a door, then the sound happens about half a second (maybe not that much) afterwards. Is this behaviour normal or is there a problem with my system?

Toshiba Laptop 1.7GHz 512MB
Fedora Core 5
SCUMMVM 0.8.2

Thanks

Richard
The most common reason for that kind of sound delays seems to be that the sound is played through a daemon like esd or artsd but I don't have any first-hand experience of this myself.
riksweeney

Re: Sound Delay

Post by riksweeney »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
riksweeney wrote:Hi,
The most common reason for that kind of sound delays seems to be that the sound is played through a daemon like esd or artsd but I don't have any first-hand experience of this myself.
Thanks for the suggestion. I found out what the problem was. In FC5's Soundcard Detection Administration I disabled the software mixing and now all my SDL progs have correctly synched sound.

Hopefully this information will be useful to someone else.

Richard