[comi] game is not found

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pelagiad

[comi] game is not found

Post by pelagiad »

when trying to add "curse of monkey island" to the game list in scummvm the message saying there is no supported game found appears.

[game]:curse of monkey island v 1.0 german
[directory]: C:\Programme\LucasArts\Curse\ (default)
[scummvm]: ver. 0.8.2

thx in advance
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

did you copy all data files listed here: http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles ?
pelagiad

Post by pelagiad »

no i did not. i even didn't know that i need to copy any files. where shall i copy them. into the root directory on the harddisk?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

pelagiad wrote:no i did not. i even didn't know that i need to copy any files. where shall i copy them. into the root directory on the harddisk?
You could do that, but it would be very messy, and it would only work if you ask ScummVM to play the game from the root directory. It's much neater to create an empty folder somewhere convenient, copy all the necessary data files to it, and finally point ScummVM to it.
pelagiad

Post by pelagiad »

i did that and it works fine. but does that mean the installation is not neccessary at all? does it run now in a way of a standalone?

one more question: how can i now convert my savegame-file to a scummvm-savegame?
clem

Post by clem »

pelagiad wrote:i did that and it works fine. but does that mean the installation is not neccessary at all? does it run now in a way of a standalone?
yes, no installation necessary, uninstall the game, copy the datafiles to a directory (both CDs!), add that directoy to the launcher
pelagiad wrote:one more question: how can i now convert my savegame-file to a scummvm-savegame?
you can't, sorry - apart from the Simon games original savegames are not supported afaik
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

That's correct. Installation is not necessary, nor desired. See part 4.2 of the FAQ. It's recommended that you copy the files from your CD to a directory manually.. paticularly with multi-CD games like Monky Island 3, since ScummVM doesn't handle switching CDs very well if you try to play directly from the CD.

As for savegames, ScummVM savegames are not compatible with the savegames of the original games, and there is no tool available to convert them. You'll just have to go through the wonderful experience of playing the games from the start with ScummVM.
pelagiad

Post by pelagiad »

thx. really worked! :D
pelagiad

Post by pelagiad »

hi, me again. there is a new problem:
in chapter II, when i try to combine the gold tooth with the chewed bubble gum, scummvm crashes with the message:
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
what the hell is going on now!? :evil:
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

One source of problems is if the data file was incorrectly copied off the CD. Even the new MD5 checks only check the first megabyte? of a data file to determine the game version. One thing to do, therefore, is to try copying the data files off the CD again over the existing files and see if the problem is fixed. It may also be worth giving your CDs a clean beforehand to be on the safe side.

If you're still having a problem, you might want to try posting a message to the Bug Tracker with an attached savegame, to see if anyone else can replicate it.