Day of the Tentacle

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Shellback

Day of the Tentacle

Post by Shellback »

I've searched the forum for all kinds of helpful information but haven't found anything that could help in my case.

I'm trying to run Day of the Tentacle as the topic name indicates but what happens when I start the game up is that about 2 seconds into the game it says "WARNING: Ems detects less then 2 megabytes". Then it goes on for another 2 seconds and then just shuts down, or freezes if run from the command promt.

Been searching the net for the last two days and finally found some stuff saying that scummVM could help solve this problem and make the game compatable with Windows XP. So I ofcause wanted to try and see if it helped. I just don't understand this stuff cause when i start up scummVM it starts up with a transparent window and just stays there.. Yes I did find a post inhere where it says somethink about it, but I already have the latest drivers for my grafic card and the other thing it says could be a solution for that problem I don't know how to do.

So if someone have the time to give me a hand with this problem(s) so that I can get to play my all time favourite game again.

Martin

EDIT

It's the cd version with Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle on it if that makes a difference when explaining to me what to do..

And also, the couple of seconds that i get to see the into and so on, there is no sound in the game, but if I understod everything correnct then scummVM should also fix that..
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Day of the Tentacle

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Shellback wrote:I just don't understand this stuff cause when i start up scummVM it starts up with a transparent window and just stays there.. Yes I did find a post inhere where it says somethink about it, but I already have the latest drivers for my grafic card and the other thing it says could be a solution for that problem I don't know how to do.
That has been reported to happen for some on Windows, but I haven't heard any real explanation for why it happens. However, this thread may possibly be some help.
Shellback

Post by Shellback »

Yea I read that post also. But as i said above, then I already have the latest drivers for my graphics card, and the second thing I do not know how to do. But if anyone could explain to me how to set the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable to "windib", then it would be much appriciated.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Shellback wrote:Yea I read that post also. But as i said above, then I already have the latest drivers for my graphics card, and the second thing I do not know how to do. But if anyone could explain to me how to set the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable to "windib", then it would be much appriciated.
That's one of the things the thread tries to answer under the How do I set an environment variable? headline. Since I no longer have access to any computer running Microsoft Windows I can't be more specific than that.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Shellback wrote:Yea I read that post also. But as i said above, then I already have the latest drivers for my graphics card, and the second thing I do not know how to do. But if anyone could explain to me how to set the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable to "windib", then it would be much appriciated.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
Shellback

Post by Shellback »

Well, have looked through that other threat again, but unfortuanally I really understand nadda of doing whatever it is that is being tryed to be explained there. Guess it is just not ment for me to play doot of this computer
raina

Post by raina »

Shellback, don't give up just yet. Here are the steps to do it:
  1. Open System in Control Panel.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables, then click the name of the user variable or system variable you want to change, as follows. Click:
    • New to add a new variable name and value.
    • Edit to change a current variable name and value.
    • Delete to remove a variable name and value.
So what you want to do is create a new variable, name it SDL_VIDEODRIVER and give it the value windib.
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

I find your problem to be rather odd. I have the same compilation disc, but have never had any problems playing the games under SCUMMVM. Before SCUMMVM, though, I could make DOTT run fine, but for some reason I could get Sam & Max to run with either music or voice, but not both at the same time.
Shellback

Post by Shellback »

raina wrote:Shellback, don't give up just yet. Here are the steps to do it:
  1. Open System in Control Panel.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables, then click the name of the user variable or system variable you want to change, as follows. Click:
    • New to add a new variable name and value.
    • Edit to change a current variable name and value.
    • Delete to remove a variable name and value.
So what you want to do is create a new variable, name it SDL_VIDEODRIVER and give it the value windib.
First of all thx, I would for sure never have found my way inthere by myself :)

I have been searching the net the last few days, or week is proberbly more correct, so was starting to get a little depressed about it, especially when i find a site 8his one) that might help, and then i can't get the program to work.
Shellback

Post by Shellback »

TribeHasSpoken wrote:I find your problem to be rather odd. I have the same compilation disc, but have never had any problems playing the games under SCUMMVM. Before SCUMMVM, though, I could make DOTT run fine, but for some reason I could get Sam & Max to run with either music or voice, but not both at the same time.
I used to be able to play dott back in the days, but that has got to be like 10 years ago, so the problem didn't used to accure, but then again, tht was on an old comp. Besides my problem is not running dott with scummvm, cause i haven't gotten that to work yet, but I'm still crosing my fingers though :)
Shellback

Post by Shellback »

Just wanted to say that the game works perfectly new, thx to SCUMMVM, and SCUMMVM works thx to you that helped me in the last few posts. thx