Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
minego
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Post by minego » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:00 pm

TomFrost wrote:
minego wrote: This kind of behavior for a PDK app generally means that it is running out of memory. There is a field (I don't remember the name off the top of my head) that you can set in the appinfo.json to tell webOS how much memory you will need. It will then do garbage cleanup to make sure there is enough, and will give the "too many cards" if it can't.

If that field is not set high enough then the card may be closed if it tries to use more memory than that limit. Setting that properly is the correct solution to these types of errors.
I'm very familiar with that limit ;-). I think this is something different entirely, though-- the TouchPad will just lose sound from time to time. And trying to run ScummVM in that case will crash it. Since that problem doesn't happen any other time, that indicates it's the sound bug that's the issue, not the RAM.
Okay. I haven't had the sound issue, but it sounded like it might be related. I think there is still a RAM issue though. I've noticed that if I switch cards to something else then scummvm will frequently close. Aside from that it seems to behave for me.
TomFrost wrote:
minego wrote: I can confirm that this works properly. I'm really enjoying the dig.

I'd prefer to have the "auto-drag" mode on by default (or an option to set it). I find it the most useful.
Good deal! Yeah, I'm definitely considering making autodrag the default. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it can sometimes be very unnerving to rest your finger on the screen and have it click a second later without you doing anything ;-). This can get super frustrating in games where you choose the next line of dialog to say. You sit there and think about which line to slide your finger to, and it clicks on one you definitely didn't want. So I'm not decided on which would be the better default yet :)
I can see how that would be annoying. I think having a checkbox for it in options is probably the ideal solution.

mrbell321
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:52 pm

I'll start looking at the code once I find the time...

Post by mrbell321 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Of course that's the same old excuse...

Anyway, what I am hoping for is a portrait orientation so that the virtual keyboard and the game view can fit on the screen together.

Excellent work, btw!

minego
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: I'll start looking at the code once I find the time...

Post by minego » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 pm

mrbell321 wrote:Anyway, what I am hoping for is a portrait orientation so that the virtual keyboard and the game view can fit on the screen together.
That would be very cool for some games.

User avatar
kayahr
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by kayahr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi TomFrost,

just tested your Touchpad fork on my Pre 2 and it looks like it hasn't broken anything. Works perfectly, well done! I really like the two-finger-gestures and the toggling of the touchpad mode.

You really should create a pull request so we can get this into the official sources.

I have some issues on the Palm Pre 1 but this has nothing to do with your changes. It's a compiler issue again. In the current official release I fixed these issues by selecting a specific Cross Compiler Toolchain and removing some duplicate files from my custom PDK but now with the finally published official Linux PDK I guess I have to find a new solution.

BTW: Someone here with a Veer? I still don't know if the WebOS port (Official one or TomFrost's newer fork) works on the smaller display. Pixi support is also unclear. I guess this device isn't really important but it would be cool to have ONE ScummVM port working on all WebOS devices ever built (Thanks to HP this is a finite set...)

minego
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Post by minego » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 pm

kayahr wrote:BTW: Someone here with a Veer? I still don't know if the WebOS port (Official one or TomFrost's newer fork) works on the smaller display. Pixi support is also unclear. I guess this device isn't really important but it would be cool to have ONE ScummVM port working on all WebOS devices ever built (Thanks to HP this is a finite set...)
The pixi is a different processor. It is an arm v6, and all the other webOS devices are v7. A build for the pixi should run on all other devices, but may be slightly slower.

User avatar
kayahr
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by kayahr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm

minego wrote:The pixi is a different processor. It is an arm v6, and all the other webOS devices are v7. A build for the pixi should run on all other devices, but may be slightly slower.
I know that. The current official ScummVM release is compiled with Pixi compiler settings. But so far I haven't heard of anyone who successfully started ScummVM on the Pixi.

domb
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Wavetable MIDI

Post by domb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Excellent work, really enjoying the port. Would it be viable to add in some of the Wavetable MIDI Emulators? Roland MT-32, Timidity? I have no idea if the libraries even have WebOS ports to drag in.

Cheers for your thoughts.

minego
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Post by minego » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 pm

kayahr wrote:
minego wrote:The pixi is a different processor. It is an arm v6, and all the other webOS devices are v7. A build for the pixi should run on all other devices, but may be slightly slower.
I know that. The current official ScummVM release is compiled with Pixi compiler settings. But so far I haven't heard of anyone who successfully started ScummVM on the Pixi.
I've got a buddy with a pixi. I'll see if I can borrow it and try it out.

minego
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Post by minego » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm

minego wrote:
kayahr wrote:
minego wrote:The pixi is a different processor. It is an arm v6, and all the other webOS devices are v7. A build for the pixi should run on all other devices, but may be slightly slower.
I know that. The current official ScummVM release is compiled with Pixi compiler settings. But so far I haven't heard of anyone who successfully started ScummVM on the Pixi.
I've got a buddy with a pixi. I'll see if I can borrow it and try it out.
It does NOT work. On the pixi you just get a black screen. It never displays anything.

User avatar
TomFrost
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Re: I'll start looking at the code once I find the time...

Post by TomFrost » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:12 pm

mrbell321 wrote: Anyway, what I am hoping for is a portrait orientation so that the virtual keyboard and the game view can fit on the screen together.
Excellent suggestion! I'll check that out :)
kayahr wrote:Hi TomFrost,

just tested your Touchpad fork on my Pre 2 and it looks like it hasn't broken anything. Works perfectly, well done! I really like the two-finger-gestures and the toggling of the touchpad mode.

You really should create a pull request so we can get this into the official sources.
Thanks, kayahr! And many props to you, as well-- it made building this out very, very easy :). I'm definitely planning on sending a pull request, I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I do. I'd hate to be sending new requests every day as I tweak things ;-).
BTW: Someone here with a Veer? I still don't know if the WebOS port (Official one or TomFrost's newer fork) works on the smaller display.
I've been getting PMs and tweets from some folks who have had success with their phones, but no Veers yet, unfortunately.
domb wrote:Excellent work, really enjoying the port. Would it be viable to add in some of the Wavetable MIDI Emulators? Roland MT-32, Timidity? I have no idea if the libraries even have WebOS ports to drag in.

Cheers for your thoughts.
I can certainly look into it :) Any suggestions for a good game to test that makes use of these?
minego wrote:It does NOT work. On the pixi you just get a black screen. It never displays anything.
...That's unfortunate. I'm curious if the official port ever worked for it... if so, it was me turning on the scalers that did it.

User avatar
TomFrost
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Post by TomFrost » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Sorry for the double-post, but it might be worth it: with a key assist from kayahr, This port now has flac support. Same link, same filename -- grab it from the first post :)

User avatar
WayneRSH
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Post by WayneRSH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Oh, I could use this, since I had the same error as you while compiling the flac libs. Is it possible to share please ? :)

And again, awesome work, thanks !

User avatar
TomFrost
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Post by TomFrost » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:38 pm

WayneRSH wrote:Oh, I could use this, since I had the same error as you while compiling the flac libs. Is it possible to share please ? :)

And again, awesome work, thanks !
Kayahr updated the wiki page -- He just took down the optimization a couple levels with the -O1 CFLAG. Works like a charm! It turned out to be something HP/Palm broke with the new release of the compiler.

User avatar
WayneRSH
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Post by WayneRSH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Nice, thx !

User avatar
kayahr
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Re: I'll start looking at the code once I find the time...

Post by kayahr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 am

TomFrost wrote:
minego wrote:It does NOT work. On the pixi you just get a black screen. It never displays anything.
...That's unfortunate. I'm curious if the official port ever worked for it... if so, it was me turning on the scalers that did it.
I'm pretty sure the official port wasn't working, too. I never got positive reports but I DID get some negative reports.

BTW: Do you compile your ScummVM port (And the third-party libaries used by it) with the Pixi-compiler settings like described in the Wiki? If not then it's clear that it can't work.

Post Reply