The Prince and the Coward Support

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fischkopf
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: germany

The Prince and the Coward Support

Post by fischkopf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:01 am

This is a Adventure-Game by Metropolis Software House from 1999 that was only released in Poland and Germany as "Galador".

Screenshots: http://www.adventure-archiv.com/g/galad ... nshots.htm
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqJ-KeSl ... re=related

http://www.mobygames.com/game/prince-and-the-coward

The Problem with the game is, that there is no way to run it under modern operating systems so it would be an excellent candidate for scummvm, wouldn't it?

Is there any Chance someday scummvm will someday support this game?

:?:

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:36 am

Anything is possible. What you need is someone willing to put in the thousands of hours of hard work that is required to support a game. And for free none the less. Are you?

If you are looking for a yes or no answer, don't hold your breath.

ICEknight
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Post by ICEknight » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Longcat wrote:Anything is possible. What you need is someone willing to put in the thousands of hours of hard work that is required to support a game. And for free none the less. Are you?

If you are looking for a yes or no answer, don't hold your breath.
He might be looking for a more technical answer from a SCUMMVM developer's view... :roll:

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 pm

What specifically is it you want to know?

I am not a ScummVM developer, but I am familiar enough with ScummVM's inner workings and philosophical scope to tell you that, yes, it is most definitely possible BUT requires a LOT of work. And of course someone willing to work on said game.

A more specific answer requires a more specific question.

User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

Post by LordHoto » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 pm

ICEknight wrote:
Longcat wrote:Anything is possible. What you need is someone willing to put in the thousands of hours of hard work that is required to support a game. And for free none the less. Are you?

If you are looking for a yes or no answer, don't hold your breath.
He might be looking for a more technical answer from a SCUMMVM developer's view... :roll:
It might not be thousands of hours, but it's at least in the right direction in case the copyright holders do not want to share their code. (And it is not using one of our supported engines by chance and no one ever noticed).

ICEknight
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Post by ICEknight » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:08 pm

LordHoto wrote:(And it is not using one of our supported engines by chance and no one ever noticed).
That's what I was wondering, shame that it doesn't share any of those.

Seldon
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:53 am
Location: Poland

Post by Seldon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Prince and the Coward could be very similar to Teenagent, as they come from the same developers.

Though of course it's just a guess - I don't own the first one, so can't verify it.

User avatar
Mok
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Post by Mok » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 pm

I can probably still find the source to that game somewhere in my archives but as mentioned the game was released only in polish and german so finding a dev willing to work on it might be a problem. Not to mention the game's "engine" was written in assembler (it uses some crude scripting language for the game's logic though). I do not have any problems with giving the source to someone willing to work on it as I consider the code (and code alone) to be mine (the company that hired me failed to fulfill contractual obligations).

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:40 pm

You should contact the dev team in #scummvm on freenode irc. Many of the devs are actually german so it might not be as hard to find someone to work on the game as you think. Especially with the source available.

User avatar
john_doe
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Post by john_doe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Nice, I started to work on this some time ago and made an extractor for the PTC files.
Later I stopped, though, mainly because it's not available in English. Also I'm not sure what our "policy" is with including non-English games if the games' engine isn't already supported.
Maybe some volunteer can be found who wants to translate the text from Polish/German to English if the game is maybe supported?

User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:02 pm

john_doe wrote:Also I'm not sure what our "policy" is with including non-English games if the games' engine isn't already supported.
I don't think we've faced this before. I couldn't see any problem with it though.

fischkopf
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: germany

Post by fischkopf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Mok wrote:I can probably still find the source to that game somewhere in my archives but as mentioned the game was released only in polish and german so finding a dev willing to work on it might be a problem. Not to mention the game's "engine" was written in assembler (it uses some crude scripting language for the game's logic though). I do not have any problems with giving the source to someone willing to work on it as I consider the code (and code alone) to be mine (the company that hired me failed to fulfill contractual obligations).
that are good news. So scummVM support for this game, in the future is likely?

fischkopf
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: germany

Post by fischkopf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Is there eny progress on this game?

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am

No, but due to our successful experience with Sołtys, which we translated into other languages, we are willing to work on it. Just trying to reach Mok these days.


Eugene

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:13 pm

There is a difference: this game seems to have a LOT of dialogue, the exact opposite of Soltys. So, it might need a bit more work to get translated.

Post Reply