SummSpeaks, Speech and MI2

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

You might want to ask on MixnMojo forums (http://www.mixnmojo.com) for voice actors, I think you'll get more responses.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Thanks, I took your advice, got 3 volunteers (declined 1) and I'm even on the front page of Mix 'n' Mojo's news! Oh wow!
raina

Post by raina »

I've got a girlfriend here interested in participating. Initially she wanted to be Wally but seeing the part's already been taken, she could give a go at the more feminine characters. :)

She says she'll be recording something some day soon.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

If she could audition for Wally anyway that'd be great. Just in case she beats the current Wally.

Tell her I said thanks ^^
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I can confirm that speech CAN be added to MI1, CD version.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Is there anywhere we can hear some audition samples? I assume you're making voice packs for both MI games with the same actors right?
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Currently, only MI2. And if I ever get some money to burn I'll get a website set up at some point to host auditions and outtakes and of the like.

Unless someone wants to give me some space :P
raina

Post by raina »

Btw, I see your instructions to send Vorbis files. This is just for the audition, right?
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Mmhmm. But if I pick them, then think they're awesome they'll go straight into the game. Like what's happened in our Guybrush's case. His auditions went straight in because they're amazing.

OFF TOPIC: Do you has what it takes to join the Homstarmy?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

iPwnzorz wrote:Mmhmm. But if I pick them, then think they're awesome they'll go straight into the game. Like what's happened in our Guybrush's case. His auditions went straight in because they're amazing.
In which case, you edit the files to cut things away, arrange them together, etc.. Then when saving that to Vorbis or MP3, you get losses that encode plus the losses from the previous encode. Which is bad. Each consecutive save/load cycle to/from a lossy format increases the overall loss (thus decreasing sound quality).

So, when accepting submisions, editing, etc. always request and work on uncompressed (or losslessly compressed) audio data and only encode to a lossy format in the final stage that produces the files you'll distribute.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I see no differences in one I cut apart.

Eh. You made it sound painful.
raina

Post by raina »

iPwnzorz wrote:I see no differences in one I cut apart.

Eh. You made it sound painful.
I think it was supposed to sound painful to make an impact. You might not hear the difference now but give it enough little edits and you will, and by then it will be too late. Also, barely audible differences on one audio setup may become dead obvious on another. I don't claim to have legendary golden ears but I believe in always saving the lossless copy. And what if Ogg Vorbis would become obsolete and deprecated? If encoding in another format was necessary for one reason or another, the only way would be through transcoding, once again reducing quality.

OT: That's what for I've been saving myself!
BTW: Watch the typos or more characters like Homsar might pop up. ;)
MusicallyInspired

IF you're going to do a good job you have to do it right otherwise the whole project will be looked on as a cheap creation and everyone will just wait until someone makes a better one. You can't just slap together a few tracks with some very lossy encoded edits and call it a speech pack. Take some pride in it.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Ok ok I'll get Guybrush to send his lines again only seperate.

Jeez.
MusicallyInspired

I know you're excited about getting it done. So am I. I'm quite looking forward to it. So why not take the extra time to do it right? The worst that can happen is it comes out a little later. I'd take that and the high quality over a rushed work any day.