Curse of Monkey Island is NOT at all playable.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

stormfrog

Post by stormfrog »

fingolfin wrote:The code in method ScummEngine_v7::moveCamera() (engines/scumm/camera.cpp), line 344ff, might be the culprit. It causes VAR_CAMERA_SPEED_X and VAR_CAMERA_SPEED_Y to be set to at least 8, which is correct for old games (which scroll in steps of 8 pixels), but probably not for COMI.
Do you think there are any chances someone will take a look at this and make changes in the svn version of scummVM?
artemis

Post by artemis »

There is noticeable "stutter" in scrolling when playing in ScummVM, maybe some computers handle it differently if people are saying it plays smooth for them. I cant play with that stutter looks too quirky.

I have those sound lockups too when playing it normally without ScummVM, worked fine when i had single core cpu and xp and now i have dual core and vista, so i used imagecfg to curse.exe so it uses only one core and no sound lockups anymore.

Try that if you want to play it, just google "imagecfg" and you'll find the program and how to use it.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I just tried it myself. I was experiencing many of the same issues. My PC is a dual CPU (not dual core) Opteron. I tried setting affinity of ScummVM to a single CPU, but this only helped marginally. A lot of the stuttering seemed to be from trying to read the CD during gameplay. What fixed it for me was to copy the data files from the CD to the HDD.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Collector wrote:What fixed it for me was to copy the data files from the CD to the HDD.
That's the recommended method anyway, since CD swapping is either unsupported or, at the very least, untested.