Escape from Monkey Island - Various issue reported

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DjDiabolik

Escape from Monkey Island - Various issue reported

Post by DjDiabolik »

Recently i have try to play "Escape from Monkey Island" on a PC whit Windows 11.

It's need the current DAILY version (the stable branch say somethigs like Wrong ID).

The games it's playable but the feature SAVEGAME it's totally unusable...... every two/three saves the entire game crashes and you need to FORCE CLOSE the games and the entire procedure of save it's failed.

Another BIG ISSUE it's the TALKING........... it's so many talk practically 99% of sentences have the final parts cut out (remember a similar issue on Grim Fandango about some years ago).

My version of the games it's the Italian CD/DVD Version..... if you need some addictional information i thinks i can provide here.

It's the developing of this games stopped ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Escape from Monkey Island - Various issue reported

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I haven't really tried playing Escape From Monkey Island in ScummVM, but I've always been told it's buggy, and I haven't seen much activity beyond regular maintentance in that engine.

For playing the game, you may have better luck with Aaron Giles's DREAMM project: https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/

Unlike ScummVM, it emulates enough of DOS and Windows (and FM Towns) to play a bunch of LucasArts games. Though I've had some issues with skipped or cut-off lines when I've tried playing Escape From Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, so it's not perfect either. It's not open source, and it's a one-man project, but it's making some impressive progress. Even if most of the progress lately has been for games I don't own and/or which don't hold much interest for me. (I don't think I'm going to play the Japanese version - or indeed any version - of Yoda Stories any time soon, just to pick one example.)
DjDiabolik

Post by DjDiabolik »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:22 am I haven't really tried playing Escape From Monkey Island in ScummVM, but I've always been told it's buggy, and I haven't seen much activity beyond regular maintentance in that engine.

For playing the game, you may have better luck with Aaron Giles's DREAMM project: https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/

Unlike ScummVM, it emulates enough of DOS and Windows (and FM Towns) to play a bunch of LucasArts games. Though I've had some issues with skipped or cut-off lines when I've tried playing Escape From Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, so it's not perfect either. It's not open source, and it's a one-man project, but it's making some impressive progress. Even if most of the progress lately has been for games I don't own and/or which don't hold much interest for me. (I don't think I'm going to play the Japanese version - or indeed any version - of Yoda Stories any time soon, just to pick one example.)
Interesting project this Dreamm.... but in this case i thinks it's also need to use the original .exe and also the current and official latest patch....

I thinks i can try........
DjDiabolik

Post by DjDiabolik »

Between yesterday and today I tried this "Dreamm" in three different PC and in 3 different variant:
PC LINUX - Ubuntu 22.04.LTS X64
I have add/install my ISO CD1 and CD2 and after the patch 1.1 that try to lauch.. it's crash whit a various error in terminal...

Today i have tryed in this current pc (where am I posting now):
It's a Windows 11 PC installed in a notebook HP Pavillon.

I have tryed both version the current 2.1.2 and also the current BETA 3.0b12.
Also here i have add/install my ISO Cd1 and Cd2 and also the patch 1.1. Simply the games don't ever START... it's remain whit a BLUE WINDOWS whitout any errors or somethigs similar......

Simply DREAMM it's not works at all.............
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Just tried running monkey4 with DREAMM. Didn't have any problems.

Windows 10
dreamm-3.0b12-win32-x64
bin/cues of the 2 game discs
monkeyupdate patch

I used the option in DREAMM to install multi-disc games. Dragged the cue of the 1st disc onto the DREAMM window, let DREAMM do it's work and then select the cue of the 2nd disc when DREAMM prompts it. Let DREAMM do it's stuff again, after which it requests the patch. DREAMM shows a link to the patch but as I have the MonkeyUpdate.exe already I just dragged it onto the DREAMM window, which then goes through the patch install.
The game is now on it's first scene. I don't know if the game is completable in DREAMM, but with the latest DREAMM beta on Windows 10 it certainly starts.
Nostalgia673

Post by Nostalgia673 »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:22 am I haven't really tried playing Escape From Monkey Island in ScummVM, but I've always been told it's buggy, and I haven't seen much activity beyond regular maintentance in that engine.

I thank you for mentioning the above. I rarely look in here, but I did & I saw this & got excited. :) Nice, it does something Scumm hasn't done yet, make shooter games like Dark Forces 1 & 2 work! The makers of Dreamm are genius! They not only have point & clicky Lucas Arts games Scumm has but also the Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine & Star Wars 3D shooters from the mid 90s.