Help me... SCUMMVM (Mac) doesn't recognize files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Three-headed Monkey

Help me... SCUMMVM (Mac) doesn't recognize files

Post by Three-headed Monkey »

Greetings, I am newly registered and I've just read the rules. ^_^;

I did a search on the forum to see if I could solve my problems before bothering you; however, it must be said that I'm really no computer expert. So, here goes:

The hardware I'm on: a Macintosh Powerbook, 1.07 GHz PowerPC G4, running Mac OS X 10.3.9

The SCUMMVM version I got: 0.7.1, I downloaded it from the official site (yours). Plus, I got SCUMMVM with Retro Gamer UK Magazine, an issue that featured a CD-Rom with the Emulator and Beneath a Steel Sky on it.

The problem I'm facing: I click on the SCUMMVM icon, and the emulator starts a nicely 8bit window that brings memories back from my sweet Amiga times. Then, I click on "Add Game..." button and the OS X window opens: now I should select the games to add, but they are shaded in gray and it doesn't recognize them.

I did read the FAQ and tried to rename the files in caps or such, but nope. Where do I fail?

Thanks in advance for your attention: I know I must sound like a pathetic newbie and I assure you I wouldn't ask you If I was able to get a clue from the Readme document.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Well, a first thing to suggest is to download 0.8.0 and run that.

Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Help me... SCUMMVM (Mac) doesn't recognize files

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Three-headed Monkey wrote:The problem I'm facing: I click on the SCUMMVM icon, and the emulator starts a nicely 8bit window that brings memories back from my sweet Amiga times. Then, I click on "Add Game..." button and the OS X window opens: now I should select the games to add, but they are shaded in gray and it doesn't recognize them.

I did read the FAQ and tried to rename the files in caps or such, but nope. Where do I fail?
I think the OS X version uses the native file selector where other versions use ScummVM's own built-in one, so I could be wrong here, but you're probably supposed to select a folder, not a file. Does that help?
Three-headed Monkey

DO'H!!!

Now it opens it!

Thanks a bunch!!! I wil post my thoughts on the game & emulator later!

(and, don't laugh... I told you I was a newbie :P )
Three-headed Monkey

Ok, I tried a bit of it and I must say I'm very impressed, this emulator is ace! I can finally even play my dusty and inutlilized so far CMI!

I wonder, however... How do I put my amiga originals in the SCUMMVM? I should still have a floppy drive somewhere, but I thought no drive could read amiga files...

(besides, I've read that Monkey1 Amiga doesn't feature sound on SCUMMVM yet... is this a feature you'll include in future releases?)

Many thanks and keep with the great work! :D
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Three-headed Monkey wrote:I wonder, however... How do I put my amiga originals in the SCUMMVM? I should still have a floppy drive somewhere, but I thought no drive could read amiga files...
You need to connect your Amiga drive on the PC via a dedicated interface like the Catweasel. Or if you still have an Amiga and your drive is HD compatible, you can simple format a DOS disk and copy the content of your Amiga disks onto the DOS disks (you'll need CrossDOS to be activated/installed). Or use a Zip drive. Or copy the content of your disks into a directory, pack it in LHA, email it to yourself from the Amiga, retrieve it on your PC and unpack it with WinRAR, 7zip... Possibilities are endless!
Three-headed Monkey

Kaminari wrote:
Three-headed Monkey wrote:I wonder, however... How do I put my amiga originals in the SCUMMVM? I should still have a floppy drive somewhere, but I thought no drive could read amiga files...
You need to connect your Amiga drive on the PC via a dedicated interface like the Catweasel. Or if you still have an Amiga and your drive is HD compatible, you can simple format a DOS disk and copy the content of your Amiga disks onto the DOS disks (you'll need CrossDOS to be activated/installed). Or use a Zip drive. Or copy the content of your disks into a directory, pack it in LHA, email it to yourself from the Amiga, retrieve it on your PC and unpack it with WinRAR, 7zip... Possibilities are endless!
Whoa... Catweasel is just too hardcore for me. I mean, I was aware of its existence but...

Or if you still have an Amiga and your drive is HD compatible, you can simple format a DOS disk and copy the content of your Amiga disks onto the DOS disks (you'll need CrossDOS to be activated/installed).

I still have my Amiga, alive and Kickin', it's a 500 model expanded to 1mb ram. It does accept HD disk... that is, it format them into DD, I think. What is CrossDOS?

And what is a Zip drive? A similar device to Catweasel?

The final solution seems the easier to do, unfortunately my amiga was simply used as a game device... Being just a 500 with no HD (yes, swapping disks in monkey2 and Indy IV was a living hell...) I don't think it can really go online...
I could find someone with an Amiga 4000 and send him copies of my originals, though.

Mmm. I somewhat got this feeling that I'll end playing the PC-Cdrom versions of the games :lol: (besides, the best part of Amiga ports was Monkey1 sound!)
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Some hints, and how I transfer files from my A500 to the PC:

CrossDOS: This is a software tool for the Amiga which can format a floppy disk in DOS mode (720k on a standard Amiga disk drive, 1.44M on a HD disk drive) and then lets you copy stuff from the Amiga onto it. It is a bit awkward to do this if you only have 1 disk drive, though (lots of disk swapping needed)

ZIP drive: I suppose you could attach a parallel port ZIP drive to the Amiga, however I don't think you'll find drivers for it for the A500.

What I did on my A500: Connect Amiga and PC via serial null-modem cable and then use a terminal program (you can find some on http://www.aminet.de/ under term/comm) to transfer the files one file at a time. Slow (19200 baud), but it works.

There's also a PC tool called "disk2fdi" (google for it) which can actually read Amiga disks on a standard PC floppy drive. However you need two floppy drives attached to your PC (A: and B:) This method works pretty well, however you still need an ADF (disk image) unpacker on your PC to get the raw files on that floppy back.

--Darkstar
Three-headed Monkey

Dark-Star wrote:Some hints, and how I transfer files from my A500 to the PC:

CrossDOS: This is a software tool for the Amiga which can format a floppy disk in DOS mode (720k on a standard Amiga disk drive, 1.44M on a HD disk drive) and then lets you copy stuff from the Amiga onto it. It is a bit awkward to do this if you only have 1 disk drive, though (lots of disk swapping needed)

Thanks, Dark-Star. Indeed, I do have a second Disk Drive for my Amiga 500. it's a good Commodore 1011 model. Heck, I would have never completed Monkey2 or IndyIV without it. Even with two drives, the swapping was huge.

So yes... CrossDOS seems like the most interesting option. But how do I get it? If it was an Amiga commercial program, I guess my only choice is find one on ebay. Otherwise, if it is a shareware or freeware application, the problem is the same as before: I should be able to download it with a net-connected Amiga, shouldn't I?

Is there anyone here who thinks like me, that Monkey1 is absolutely unbearable to hear with any sound that is not from Paula? 8)
Dark-Star wrote:This method works pretty well, however you still need an ADF (disk image) unpacker on your PC to get the raw files on that floppy back.
Err.. I do? and, where do I obtain such "unpacker" tool? :oops:
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Three-headed Monkey wrote:
Is there anyone here who thinks like me, that Monkey1 is absolutely unbearable to hear with any sound that is not from Paula? 8)
Dark-Star wrote:This method works pretty well, however you still need an ADF (disk image) unpacker on your PC to get the raw files on that floppy back.
Err.. I do? and, where do I obtain such "unpacker" tool? :oops:
You can enjoy Monkey1 Amiga, and even the DOS-CD Version with Amiga Music.

The Amiga Music is available here:

http://www.scummbar.com/amiga/

Simply copy the tracks in your desired game folder.

A good ADF unpacker is TotalCommander with ADF-Plugin.

You can get both at http://www.ghisler.com/
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Three-headed Monkey wrote:Is there anyone here who thinks like me, that Monkey1 is absolutely unbearable to hear with any sound that is not from Paula? 8)
Well, I think that my MT-32 sounds better, but Chris Hülsbeck certainly did a fine job. Matter of taste, really :)
Three-headed Monkey

joachimeberhard wrote:You can enjoy Monkey1 Amiga, and even the DOS-CD Version with Amiga Music.

The Amiga Music is available here:

http://www.scummbar.com/amiga/

Simply copy the tracks in your desired game folder.
Gosh... °_° I'm speechless. The only thing I can say is

S C U M M V M F O R E V E R ! ! !

Now I'll hunt a Cdrom vga Monkey1 on ebay. Can't wait!
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Three-headed Monkey wrote:Now I'll hunt a Cdrom vga Monkey1 on ebay. Can't wait!
The thing I love most about the Monkey DOS-CD version is:

It's MULTILANGUAGE!

That's the way it should have always been with computer games.

That's the reason why DVDs are so great, because you really don't need to import anything.

Best regards!

Joachim
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joachimeberhard wrote:That's the reason why DVDs are so great, because you really don't need to import anything.
Depends on your viewpoint, many American R1 DVD's have better content (soundtracks, uncut films and/or extra's) than the R2 releases but thats a completely separate discussion (and probably not in this forum). :D :D

Jimbob
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

@Jimbob:

But you generally agree with my Multilanguage point here, don't you?

Joachim