Nemesis Crashing with "New Game" selectioin

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longfellowe

Nemesis Crashing with "New Game" selectioin

Post by Longfellowe »

Hi Folks,

I’m having a problem getting Zork Nemesis to run on my Win10 64bit machine. I’m loading files from an original 3 CD set.

I get the opening screen but as soon as I click on “new game” it crashes to the desktop. The error log looks like this:

[2024-04-30 16:48:15] ScummVM 2.8.1 (Mar 16 2024 13:01:03)
[2024-04-30 16:48:15] Vorbis FLAC MP3 RGB zLib MPEG2 FluidSynth Theora VPX AAC A/52 FreeType2 FriBiDi JPEG PNG GIF taskbar TTS cloud (servers, local) ENet SDL2 TinyGL OpenGL (with shaders)
[2024-04-30 16:48:15] --- Log opened.
[2024-04-30 16:48:19] Running Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands (DOS/English)
[2024-04-30 16:48:19] ASCR.ZFS: 9a1e1a48a56cf12a22bad2d2e47f6c92, 917452 bytes.
[2024-04-30 16:48:19] CSCR.ZFS: 88226e51a205d2e50c67a5237f3bd5f2, 2397741 bytes.
[2024-04-30 16:48:19] WARNING: Unknown scaler; defaulting to 1!

I went into Global Settings and changed the scaler to Normal and x1 but that was no help.

I have a screenshot of my game root directory but the forum won’t let me upload it. Probably ‘cause I’m still a newby. But it has these files:

ZASSETS1
ZASSETS2
ZASSETS3
ZNEMMX
ZNEMSCR
NEMESIS.STR

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Nemesis Crashing with "New Game" selectioin

Post by Praetorian »

Hello,

Did you follow the instructions on the wiki page for this game?
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Zork_Nemesis

If I'm not mistaken, the instructions say that, for the case of the 3 CDs, the "ZASSETS" folder from each CD should be copied inside the game's data folder on your HDD, merging them and overwriting any duplicate files. So in the end you should have only one ZASSETS folder in there.

Maybe that's the issue?

(I can only test with the GOG version of the game, that I own, and that one has a different folder structure, and no issues when launching a New Game).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Longfellowe wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:10 am ZASSETS1
ZASSETS2
ZASSETS3
ZNEMMX
ZNEMSCR
NEMESIS.STR

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
One possibility is that according to the ScummVM Wiki:
  • From CD1, copy the zassets directory into the game root directory
  • From CD2, copy the zassets directory into the game root directory, overwriting any duplicate files
  • From CD3, copy the zassets directory into the game root directory, overwriting any duplicate files
You seem to have renamed them ZASSETS1, ZASSETS2, and ZASSETS3 instead? Or is that how they were on the CDs? From what I understand the game engine will look for a NEMESIS.SIX or MEDIUM.ZIX file describing where the data files are located, so it may be a bit sensitive about the naming of the directories. (Though if that's the problem here, crashing does seem a bit sloppy.)
Longfellowe

Post by Longfellowe »

Thanks guys, merging the three files appears to have done the trick.

I think I got lost because of a section in the ScummVM manual that says:

2.1 Multi-disc games
ScummVM needs access to all the data files, so it will not be able to run directly from a CD if the
game has multiple discs. To add a multi-CD game, copy the required data files from the CD to a
folder on your hard drive. For a list of required files, see the wiki entry for the game you’re playing.
As a general guideline, where there are duplicate, identical files (same name, same file size) on
more than one disc, only one copy of the file is required. Where there are files that have the same
name but are different on each disc, rename them. For example, where there is a music.clu on two
discs, rename the file on the first disc to music1.clu and the file on the second disc to music2.clu.

Thanks again for your help.