Just throwing a suggestion out there - integrated hint book system?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fisken uno

Just throwing a suggestion out there - integrated hint book system?

Post by fisken uno »

I love ScummVM and the developments to this day, adding modern features such as Cloud Saving. I have been using it since pretty much day 1 and remember when the FreeSCI project was added for example. That project had been going on for quite some time but was obviously lacking developers with enough time to make it useful. When the project was added to ScummVM it didn't take long until all those good old Sierra games were perfectly playable. Needless to say, there is some impressive effort behind this project and it seems that nothing is impossible for this team. WOW!

I noticed that for GSoC the Free In The Dark engine is mentioned. That would be super cool, along with the long awaited MacVenture engine. I wish the Dynamix adventure games would be supported in the future as well. I am only a user, not a programmer, so unfortunately I cannot contribute (although I kind of wish I could).

But what I wanted to mention is an idea I have had for quite some time by now.

Wouldn't it be cool if ScummVM had an integrated hint book system? Kind of like an overlay where you could reveal hints, in the style of UHS? Yeah, I can hear you saying "why the hell would that be useful? Just open a browser window ffs". But the thing is... Well, one reason is of course to keep it simple and in one place - not having to switch back and forth between windows or apps. But also, I always bring my Steam Deck or GPD Win when out travelling - which means I have to keep all the stuff offline. Downloading hint books etc. If ScummVM could somehow collect all the hints for my games, that would be pretty nice?

Of course, direct integrations with the games so the system could provide the correct hints for the current situation in each game would be even cooler. Kind of like how Steam Achievements work. But I totally understand that would be an entirely different beast to implement as the system would actually need to tie into the game code.

Anyway, just wanted to hear if I am TOTALLY alone in thinking this could be a nice feature?
AndywinXp

Re: Just throwing a suggestion out there - integrated hint book system?

Post by AndywinXp »

I swear, this is uncanny, I was thinking about EXACTLY the same thing the other day!

As you said there's a big hurdle on this: we have to carefully inject some kind of hooks into the game code, and this might not be feasible for every game.

But just so you know, I'm beginning to think about it... :D I can at least begin to plan it... Who knows :wink:
fibs

Post by fibs »

I thought the solution was to manically click everything and try every combination.

The lite version seems more feasible, with some work being done on Markdown in game menu help window. If additional work is done so game help text can be externally loaded, users could easily load walkthroughs and access them in-game in the ScummVM GMM (after all, they're supposed to be used sparingly). Otherwise, recompiling ScummVM with new text is a (painful) solution.

(It's not likely that the ScummVM project can distribute existing walkthroughs for games. Whoever wrote walkthroughs you may find online owns the text. So they'd probably need to be written from scratch for ScummVM by volunteers.)
fisken uno

Post by fisken uno »

fibs wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:58 pm(It's not likely that the ScummVM project can distribute existing walkthroughs for games. Whoever wrote walkthroughs you may find online owns the text. So they'd probably need to be written from scratch for ScummVM by volunteers.)
I was thinking more the UHS type of hints than actual walkthroughs. And iirc the UHS hint files are free to download, but the UHS reader is a shareware type of thing which you may pay for? That doesn't necessarily mean that the files are free to distribute through ScummVM though, but approaching the owners of the UHS files might be an idea. Maybe an integration of their reader directly into ScummVM would be an option, I dunno.

Actually, I have also wondered if there ever were plans to add store front integrations (such as Steam or GOG) - to make it easier to buy the games, but also to download and install the game files automatically. I can imagine there would be a lot of implications (legal and technical) to doing this though. But the idea is kind of sweet. I have a huge library at both of these stores, including many many point and click games.
amahami

Post by amahami »

fisken uno wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:09 pm Actually, I have also wondered if there ever were plans to add store front integrations (such as Steam or GOG) - to make it easier to buy the games, but also to download and install the game files automatically.
This is not only possible, but currently happening! It's actually why I'm on here (won't ask my issue here though). When I installed Big Thinkers Kindergarten, Steam automatically installed ScummVM, and plays the game through that (along with a handful of other kid's games I have from the 90s, bought with Humble Bundle which gave me Steam keys) :D
fisken uno

Post by fisken uno »

amahami wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:57 am This is not only possible, but currently happening! It's actually why I'm on here (won't ask my issue here though). When I installed Big Thinkers Kindergarten, Steam automatically installed ScummVM, and plays the game through that (along with a handful of other kid's games I have from the 90s, bought with Humble Bundle which gave me Steam keys) :D
Yeah, I do know that ScummVM is bundled with compatible games you bought on GOG (and it's possible to make ScummVM run through Steam as well). But that's not what I'm after. I want ScummVM to replace Steam or GOG Galaxy. I want a direct integration IN ScummVM, so I actually collect all my ScummVM games in one place, with Cloud Saving and what not. And a bonus would of course be that I could buy my games directly inside ScummVM, and choose store of choice (where I get the best price). But I suspect this may not be as easy as one would think... Although the game integration should be possible (many third party clients do this), the payment and shopping integration could be a bit more tricky maybe. But a simple game integration that lets you download the game files would be a really good start IMO.
invwar

Post by invwar »

Creating a store and especially handling the customer data is quite a work and because of the limitation in growth not worth to implement. The only thing I can imagine is that GOG better support the ScummVM integrations. As they have no interest in supporting another storefront, direct integration in ScummVM with GOG support is likely not happening. But something like a referral link to GOG and an option to install it in your ScummVM game directory might be possible. But all depends on GOG team and not sure how open the main devs are to go through all the "fun" of contracts to do so.
fisken uno

Post by fisken uno »

invwar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 pm Creating a store and especially handling the customer data is quite a work and because of the limitation in growth not worth to implement. The only thing I can imagine is that GOG better support the ScummVM integrations. As they have no interest in supporting another storefront, direct integration in ScummVM with GOG support is likely not happening. But something like a referral link to GOG and an option to install it in your ScummVM game directory might be possible. But all depends on GOG team and not sure how open the main devs are to go through all the "fun" of contracts to do so.
Yeah, that's what I thought. :cry: Tis a pity though as it would be very convenient, but as you say it's probably unlikely that GOG will care about a feature that will actually drive the users away from their own frontend. Just thinking out loud... How do third party front ends such as Heroic Games Launcher on Linux make it possible to download, install and even fetch cloud saves from GOG? Is there an open API that they have implemented, or are such integrations implemented in cooperation with GOG/Steam/Epic Games Store?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, GOG.com offers API for talking to their platform.

Eugene