Heroine's Quest - ScummVM testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Eld

Heroine's Quest - ScummVM testing

Post by Eld »

EldVarg 30 Sep @ 10:15am
I think this update made ScummVM stoped working.
Radiant [developer] 30 Sep @ 12:35pm
That is correct, in the sense that ScummVM needs to adjust some internal settings (e.g. a checksum value) for each new version number. You should contact the ScummVM team on their forums.
Aside from that, I'm working with the ScummVM people to have a compatible version of HQ hosted on their site, but they want to be sure that the game is fully completable under ScummVM and they haven't fully tested this yet. If you have played a lot of HQ under ScummVM, please also mention that on the ScummVM forums.
I suggest you start a thread in this forum: viewforum.php?f=1 so that other players of HQ can also participate and post their findings.

What the ScummVM team is looking for is one or two independent players who've completed the game (i.e. defeated Egther). Of course I don't want to push any time investment on you, but I think that if you know the game, a Rogue run should only take an hour or two.
So, for anyone still involved in this discussion, the ScummVM team wants to know if HQ is fully playable in ScummVM (and if it is, it can likely be included on their site as one of the big freeware releases).

If you're interested in helping, I suggest you start a thread in this forum (or there might be one already there): viewforum.php?f=1 so that other players of HQ can also participate and post their findings.

What the ScummVM team is looking for is one or two independent players who've completed the game (i.e. defeated Egther). Of course I don't want to push any time investment on any of you, but I think that if you know the game, a Rogue run should only take an hour or two.
So ScummVM devs here need to update checksum to get the latest version of Heroine's Quest to work in ScummVM.

So people, have you played through the whole Heroin's Quest with ScummVM?
Please report in here. I played first act (out of 4), and saw nowthing wrong. We need reports of act 2-4 too.

The quotes comes from discussions about the game in Steam.
Radiant

Re: Heroine's Quest - ScummVM testing

Post by Radiant »

Thank you for starting this thread. I'll keep an eye on the discussion and try to answer questions that arise.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

Eld wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:31 pm So people, have you played through the whole Heroin's Quest with ScummVM?
Please report in here. I played first act (out of 4), and saw nowthing wrong. We need reports of act 2-4 too.
Hey Eld,

I'm currently going through a playthrough of Heroine's Quest using ScummVM. PC. Playing the version d/led from Steam. Running through each character and trying to unlock each Achievement.

I've finished using both Paladin and Mage, and I'm currently replaying with Paladin to get a good set of "perfect" savegames before doing a Thief run.

I'll let you know if I have any issues!

I might have had an achievement issue when I copied games from one computer to another (I copied savegames from one computer to another when I was playing Sorceress on the other computer, but when I copied them back again to the first computer I lost some achievements on the first computer). But if I restart from the beginning without copying all Heroine's Quest files from one computer to another, I should hopefully be able to unlock achievements from the beginning without losing anything.

Bliz
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

Eld wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:31 pm So people, have you played through the whole Heroin's Quest with ScummVM?
Hey Eld,
I just completed a third playthrough of Heroine's Quest using ScummVM. I didn't see any gamebreaking bugs. There were a few times when my character completely regenerated mana and stamina after a cutscene, and the Jack of All Trades Achievement seems broken (won't unlock even though I completed the game with all three characters). But at least I can complete the game with all three characters.

The other achievement that is broken is the Defeat Surtur achievement. So, two achievements are broken.

If I can track exactly what conditions cause the mana/stamina regeneration bug, I'll report an actual bug. But on the whole this is a pretty decent build.

Bliznik
Radiant

Post by Radiant »

Bliznik, thank you for your report! I'm happy to hear the game is completeable under ScummVM.

The Jack Of All Trades achievement relies on the game's records file to remember information from previous playthroughs; this might not work in ScummVM (you would be able to tell from seeind a "Records" option on the main menu, after completing the game).

Regarding the Surtr achievement, are you sure you're fighting Surtr himself and not a random other Muspell?